Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone chop a steel bumper??

Old 03-14-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone chop a steel bumper??

Anyone chop their rugged ridge bumper?? I think I might want to trim my ends to make the bumper a "mid with" Has anyone done this?? What tools would I need?? I have a dewalt angle grinder, I figured that and some painers tape and a can of bedline may be it

Any suggestions??
Old 03-14-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, funny you should post this. I just installed buswacker flats and can't stand the width of my rugged ridge rear bumper I'm thinking of taking a grinder and hacking it even with the body line of the jeep.

PS. Please post up photos if you do
Old 03-14-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Are you chopping the rear? The front is already pretty stubby. What would make the job a lot easier would be an oxy acetylene (sp) torch. The best option would a plasma cutter but I don't know what kind of budget you are looking at. I guess you could use a regular sawzall but that would wear on you after a while.
Sawzall is not all that bad. The metal actually cuts better that you may think. I cut 1/2" off the rear return cause my tires would hit at full stuff.

I want to mid width mine also. I have seen a post somewhere that had a trimmed RR rear bumper.

Rexicon - You do it first so I can see what it looks like.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by YingYang
Sawzall is not all that bad. The metal actually cuts better that you may think. I cut 1/2" off the rear return cause my tires would hit at full stuff.

I want to mid width mine also. I have seen a post somewhere that had a trimmed RR rear bumper.

Rexicon - You do it first so I can see what it looks like.
II would think a grinder with a metal cutting wheel would be better than a sawzall...

I was thinking about doing the front...its not stubby at all when you have the ends on....

As for the rear, Ive seen some pics with bushwackers and it didnt look too bad, do you have any pics of your RR rear with bushwackers??
Old 03-14-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Well if you're cutting the ends then why not attempt to fabricate your own?
I dont have a welder or anything...I fig cutting the existing ones would be easier, but I didnt know how they would turn out...Id hate to ruin the $150 bumper ends
Old 03-14-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Super Freak

I have been thinking about doing the same exact thing. I have the front SRC and was just going to cut off the tube ends.

What bumper do you have?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jmat1980
II would think a grinder with a metal cutting wheel would be better than a sawzall...

I was thinking about doing the front...its not stubby at all when you have the ends on....

As for the rear, Ive seen some pics with bushwackers and it didnt look too bad, do you have any pics of your RR rear with bushwackers??
Sawzall cuts it really nice, just make sure you have a nice new blade, plus your not slinging hot metal all around near your paint. It makes a nice cut edge. Opps, just saw in your first post that you have an angle grinder, use that if you dont have a sawzall.

Why not just take the ends off??

I dont think the rear looks to bad with the Bushwackers. The front looks like azz with ends on and Bushwacker flats.

Last edited by YingYang; 03-14-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Ya, that rear looks decent with the flats. I was gonna take the ends off, but Id rather have a midwith than a stubby, and since I already have the ends I was thinking about hacking them up. I have a sawzall and a grinder, but I just thought that the sawzall would cut it like shit, I cant really imagine it being smooth

I could just sell the ends and get the new RR ends that are coming out soon. They are stubby, but not flat...they stick out a little. I wish they would just make midwith ends...
Old 03-15-2011, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jmat1980
I could just sell the ends and get the new RR ends that are coming out soon. They are stubby, but not flat...they stick out a little. I wish they would just make midwith ends...
I sold mine after the bushwacker install. Hmmm, havent seen the new ends, other than the storage ones. Im thinking about getting rid of my XHD rear bumper and getting the Poision Spyder one.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YingYang
I sold mine after the bushwacker install. Hmmm, havent seen the new ends, other than the storage ones. Im thinking about getting rid of my XHD rear bumper and getting the Poision Spyder one.
Yeah I'm thinking I should just sell my xhd and tire carrier instead of chopping it. Then I can get a new bumper/carrier that isn't a POS.....

BTW... It doesn't look that bad from the rear as in the photo shown, but side on with a 2 door the bumper comes into the wheel well past the flare. Just looks bad IMO.

Last edited by rexicon; 03-15-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone chop a steel bumper??