Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone change 2012 muffler?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone change 2012 muffler?

Just checking to see if anyone has gone to aftermarket mufflers yet?

If so:
Thoughts?
Sound?
Would you do it again?
Ect......
Old 04-26-2012, 03:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_JKU

If so:
Thoughts?
Sound?
Would you do it again?
Ect......
I recently took off the stock muffler AND the resonator... its friggin LOUD but sounds a lot better with resonator off vs just muffler. I'm going to straight pipe it for a few days but will most likely throw a flowmaster 40 on there. I would highly recommend removing the resonator if you throw an aftermarket on tho. I think would eliminate a lot of rice sound. Sounds OK with just muffler off, but a lot deeper sound with both off. Just really loud lol
Old 04-26-2012, 03:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Black_JKU

If so:
Thoughts?
Sound?
Would you do it again?
Ect......
I replaced my exhaust with a banks power monster exhaust. It has a nice deep sound without being overly loud until I get aggressive with the skinny pedal. There's also no drone whole cruising at highway speeds. Of course I'd do it again.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kh202

I recently took off the stock muffler AND the resonator... its friggin LOUD but sounds a lot better with resonator off vs just muffler. I'm going to straight pipe it for a few days but will most likely throw a flowmaster 40 on there. I would highly recommend removing the resonator if you throw an aftermarket on tho. I think would eliminate a lot of rice sound. Sounds OK with just muffler off, but a lot deeper sound with both off. Just really loud lol
How hard is it to take the resonator off? Did you pipe it back or keep it open under the cab?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 1978cj7jk2012
How hard is it to take the resonator off? Did you pipe it back or keep it open under the cab?
It's not hard its just awkward cuz there is not a lot of room for a wrench (friggin nut is on the top of pipe ) But for some reason the bolt was a bitch to break lose (only a month and a half old), so i'd recommend throwing some WD on before you do it and let it soak in awhile. But its same concept as taking the muffler off, one bolt and 2 rubber hangers and it slides out in one piece. Took me longer to do it but i think it was worth it.

Right now, yes it dumps out right under my seat where the loops make a Y. There is a weird buzzing sound when I let off gas around 1000-1500 rpm, but I'm running a straight pipe and 45 deg bend back later today, so that should get rid of that. Most likely will bolt a flowmaster on there. Should smooth out the tone a little and mellow it out a little
Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Junkie

HEre is mine with no resonator and a flowmaster super 44

Wide open 2012 wrangler flowmaster super 44 - YouTube

Normal acceleration to 60 ish 2012 wrangler super 44 - YouTube
Old 04-27-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Went to my muffler shop and had a dynomax put on. Wow excellent manners when crusing. Nice idle and quiet till you get on it. No drone at all. I believe it will get a little louder when it breaks in.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

12 JK 3.6 Pentastar

Removed stock muffler and replaced stock resonator with a flowmaster 10. Does not sound overbearing at all or yet--sounding like a Mustang or Camaro. Just a deep throaty/growling tone.

Subtle take-off:
2012 Jeep Wrangler Exhaust - YouTube

Driving around the block:
12 Jeep Wrangler Exhaust - YouTube
Old 04-28-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Torancis_Jeep
12 JK 3.6 Pentastar

Removed stock muffler and replaced stock resonator with a flowmaster 10. Does not sound overbearing at all or yet--sounding like a Mustang or Camaro. Just a deep throaty/growling tone.

Subtle take-off:
2012 Jeep Wrangler Exhaust - YouTube

Driving around the block:
12 Jeep Wrangler Exhaust - YouTube
So really not much drone with that? My super 44 is loud on highway. Like can hardly hear my radio which is all aftermarket with sub. Lots of drone.

Where does your exhaust dump, right behind axle or did you extend it out the back
Old 04-28-2012, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kh202
So really not much drone with that? My super 44 is loud on highway. Like can hardly hear my radio which is all aftermarket with sub. Lots of drone.

Where does your exhaust dump, right behind axle or did you extend it out the back
I'm surprised myself...no drone yet.
Exhaust was extended to the back.

Quick Reply: Anyone change 2012 muffler?