Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone in Austin have a McGard wheel lock key?

Old 04-08-2015, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Black Jeep
I have had those type before and went to the tire shop to have a flat fixed they told me they didn't need my key when I went to get it they have a kit that fits about 20 different kinds of those keys
head to the tire shop closest to you and ask before you chisel them off also you can find an old socket that almost fits over the lug and hammer it on might ruin the socket but works in a pinch I have done that before with my craftsman socket then got it replaced for free once I was finished gotta love the lifetime warranty
Yep, I already went to 2 shops and they couldn't get them off. I'll try a few other things before I resort to using tannerite.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know it not a jeep but when I went to change the tires on my evo these stupid locks were on. I didn't have a key and none of the shops did either. I ended up using the over tighting method and a old flat head to fit into the groves with the flat head jammed in there I used a bfh to pound the lug nut around enough to where it was loose enough to get it off by hand. Once I got them all off I tossed them away.. Useless garbage for locks
Old 04-08-2015, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I got them off using a combination of suggested methods. First I cranked down the lugs on each side of the lock, then used some gentle heat with a torch, then pounded a 12-point socket over them. It took some negotiating, but worked in the end. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Quick Reply: Anyone in Austin have a McGard wheel lock key?