Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

anyone add headers to their 3.8 jk? Opinions please

Old 04-28-2012, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone add headers to their 3.8 jk? Opinions please

I have k&n intake, dynoamax exhaust and Hypertech tuner, 35" tires and 5.13 gears,auto trans, still a dog that struggles pulling an inclosed dirt bike trailer, I see there are headers available now from rugged ridge and a few others, would this make an noticable improvement?

Wish I had the new motor
Old 04-28-2012, 04:23 PM
MTH
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by storch
I have k&n intake, dynoamax exhaust and Hypertech tuner, 35" tires and 5.13 gears,auto trans, still a dog that struggles pulling an inclosed dirt bike trailer, I see there are headers available now from rugged ridge and a few others, would this make an noticable improvement?

Wish I had the new motor
Supercharger.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 PM
JK Newbie

Yes it does, but of course not as much a forced induction would make.
Am running Borla long tube and happy with it , however it is very loud
Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had added headers to a 5.3liter Avalanche. It added some boost in performance. I doubt you will notice much with the engine much smaller than my old 5.3. THe sounds will improve. The exhaust does a lot but the completion to the system is when you add the headers.

Wish I had the new motor
Old 04-29-2012, 02:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought I read on here about the programers not being set up to work well with headers? Anyone have any exsperience? Or was that just long tube headers?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default headers

looking at photos it apears that only the long tube headers would be an advantage over oe manifolds?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set, still new in the box. I'll make you a good deal......
Old 04-30-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by thecoz
I thought I read on here about the programers not being set up to work well with headers? Anyone have any exsperience? Or was that just long tube headers?
I think the new Hypertech programer will work with short & Long Tube Header's, an the Viper Throttle . Atleast that is what their info say's.

Last edited by Shadow's_Jeep; 04-30-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Ripp

Wish I had the new motor

I put the Long Tubes from RIPP and the their programmer (Diablo Sport). I did see some improvment but it was still not enough.

I put the Ripp SC in and WOW am I ever glad I did. If I had it to do again I would skip the Headers and just go SC.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MTH
Supercharger.
X2!! Installed a RIPP SC last Fall and all I can say is WOW! MAJOR improvement.
Makes all other mods looks like a waste of time and money when it comes to power/$$. However, it is a huge hunk of $$ to drop. I tow a 6'x10' open trailer (loaded with anything & everything) and it no longer struggles to keep highway speeds.
RIPP makes long-tube headers which can be used alone or with the SC. The Diablo programmer that came with my SC has a tune for the long-tube headers. Maybe, someday...I'll put those on also.

Quick Reply: anyone add headers to their 3.8 jk? Opinions please