Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anybody runnining a 3 inch BDS lift

Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody runnining a 3 inch BDS lift

I'm looking at buying a 3 inch bds lift for my 2 door jk. Is anybody running one? It looks like it's a good deal with all included.

Also made by bds is zone lifts. These are a little cheaper but I don't believe they carry a warranty.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

you are right... the warranty is the difference based on my discussions with the manufactures rep. (on-line rep.)
Old 06-04-2009, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

I have been running mine since march '08.

Here is the scoop, absolutely no dw solid as a rock have done some difficult trails and have had no propblems. I came down hard on the john bull trail in big bear and depressurized one of my shocks. I called up bds and told them i wanted to upgrade to the nitro shocks. So i turned in my old shocks 20k miles on them got full credit applied to new nitro shocks. I love this lift, rides like a dream.

If you are running a whinch and bumper i recommend you get the upgraded shocks with your kit, or even buy bilstiens and ask for the credit off your kit, they will do it for you. They have online live customer service and i can not say enough good things about them.

I know there are a lot of lifts to chose from, but you will not be dissapointed at all. In fact if you have the money their high end stuff is worth looking at.

Dealers use these lifts not only because they can get a good deal on them (no different then any other lift kits) but bds has a lifetime warranty with no fine print, so no cash out of their pocket if something goes wrong.

Btw i have an bumper to bumper lifetime warranty and it is not voided by this lift according to my dealer who put it on. Any specific questions just ask.

Dan
Old 06-04-2009, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Well, I've only heard good things about this lift. Sounds rock solid. What a great deal at $720 dollars too, compared to OME's 2.5 inch lift which i dont believe has all the extras and is just a bit cheaper.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

do u need to replace the front and rear drive shafts or purchase any additional items other than the kit itself to make it work. Or can I buy this kit and throw on some 35's and go.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

You need nothing else just install and go "BDS" is great to deal with but make sure you get or upgrade your rear control arms uppers and lowers to be adjustable so after your install you can adjust to control arms to soften the pinion agle. IF you opt for just adjusable uppers you cant adjust properly. What happens is that you can ajust but it pushes the rear end back to far and your track bar starts to interfere with coils. But with having adjustable uppers and lowers that doesn't happen I had to buy new BDS lowers after the fact.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

I called BDS today and they told me I did not need to buy any control arms and I should go with the cheaper shocks if I was going to do mostly on road driving and only weekend wheeling. Then on another post someone said this was a bad idea and I needed front control arms instead. I did not mention that I had a two door is that still ok with stock drive shafts Ive herd its good to go with 4 door jeeps but still not sure about the 2 door.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I called BDS today and they told me I did not need to buy any control arms...
Assuming it's the 3" base kit that everyone is talking about?

This lift comes with Cam Bolts. Do a quick search and get some more information on these before you have them installed. Know the pro's/con's so you can make an informed decision.

There are a lot of lifts out there. Some are inexpensive and incomplete. Others are more expensive, and you guessed it, more complete. Only you can decide which components are important enough to you.

So, do you Need anything else with this kit? No.
'Should' you add more components? Probably. (extended brake lines or brackets, front trackbar bracket, and a set of front adj control arms instead of the cams comes to mind)

This lift actually has a lot to offer for the price, but decide for yourself if you'd be better off spending a bit more and getting some adjustables instead of cams and brackets ...

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-09-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been running the 3" BDS kit on my 2dr without aftermarket control arms on the stock driveshafts for 9 months now. It's a great kit and it rides really well. I went with the upgraded shocks. I plan on eventually buying new driveshafts and control arms, but it's certainly not necessary right away.

The only downside to this kit, as some have mentioned, is it gives you just about what they claim. I got almost exactly 3" out of my kit. It's not like a Teraflex or OME that give you a couple extra inches more than advertised. This however can be a good thing if you're not looking to replace a lot of other stuff right away.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Dex1 from the great lakes region is running a 3" BDS lift on his 2 dr rubi. let me see if I can find some pics.

No pics but this should take you to his profile and he can tell you all about it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/member.php?u=25029

Last edited by woodweavil; 11-09-2009 at 08:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Anybody runnining a 3 inch BDS lift