Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Any true 34.7" tire an upgrade over clay caked Rubi take offs?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
I dont think that is correct, however if it is then I NEED 40"s!!!

Honest to gosh truth my friend. I would'nt shit ya, your my favorite turd LOL

Originally Posted by 4x4Laoch
According to BFG and Tire Rack websites, Rubi tires measure at 32.1" measured without a load on them.
Thats pushin' it a bit But yeah, they are right about there.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am tired of sliding everywhere and getting pulled out of rutt sbecause my30" tall Rubi takeoffs are caked in texas clay and too short to touch bottom...i have a nice little bonus coming that could get me gears to try and spin those stockers clean, or somt true 35"s that should clean easier and obviously get deeper.

Its a 3.8L DD 6speed with 3.21s that sees offroad abuse weekly and trail duty 3x monthly. Opinions?

***edit: this is not about tire selection. I want to know if a true 34.7" tire will be more effective on texas trails than my 30" bfgs without changing gears yet***
6 speed with 3.21 gears? Are you sure? I thought all the 6 speeds came with 3.73 from factory.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3.73 was an option as just a gear change from 3.21 or came standard with the "max tow" package i believe…

There are 2 tow packages one keeps 3.21 one switches to 3.73 i forget which one is which though…
Old 10-16-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Thugmufin
3.73 was an option as just a gear change from 3.21 or came standard with the "max tow" package

i believe…

There are 2 tow packages one keeps 3.21 one switches to 3.73 i forget which one is which though…

..gears...are an invention of of the Prius drving characteristicly albinos... oh shit im drunk. Time for the OTHER forum.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Wow.

..gears...are an invention of of the Prius drving characteristicly albinos... oh shit im drunk. Time for the OTHER forum.
... I am going with 33.7" tall bias ply TSLs and taking the Park and Ride to work every day!
Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Stock BFG MT compared to the 35x12.5R17 BFG KM2's I'm running now.

Not a huge difference. The upside of the bigger tire is I can air them way down without unseating the bead like my stock BFGs. Dealt with that too many times on the trail.

Stock BFG has 3 ply sidewalls, KM2's have 8 ply sidewalls. Much stiffer and less likley to get a pich flat or punctured sidewall.

33 or 35 is fine, I would reccomend the stiffer tire so you can air down to 15-20 psi and get really good traction.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Default This was weather an MT 34.7 would be better than a MT 31" for Texas trails...

Originally Posted by LOST
Stock BFG MT compared to the 35x12.5R17 BFG KM2's I'm running now.

Not a huge difference. The upside of the bigger tire is I can air them way down without unseating the bead like my stock BFGs. Dealt with that too many times on the trail.

Stock BFG has 3 ply sidewalls, KM2's have 8 ply sidewalls. Much stiffer and less likley to get a pich flat or punctured sidewall.

33 or 35 is fine, I would reccomend the stiffer tire so you can air down to 15-20 psi and get really good traction.
... And in the end its gonna be the same problem but with more tire I can't spin with 3.21 gears. So I went REALLY aggressive and just a hair bigger.

Quick Reply: Any true 34.7" tire an upgrade over clay caked Rubi take offs?