Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Any tricks to getting transmission to mate to engine?

Old 02-23-2016, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tricks to getting transmission to mate to engine?

Took my clutch apart last year to clean the mud out and fought with it for 6 hours just trying to get the transmission back mated up to the engine (finally did it after messing with it all day but don't remember what I did). I did my Mustang last summer and had no problems, mated right up (input shaft easily went through disk and pilot bearing and everything bolted up quickly). Well now I bought a centerforce clutch and flywheel for my jeep and everything went great, except, again I can't get the tranny to mate back up with the engine. I get the splines through the disk but can't get the last inch to get into the pilot bearing. tried 8 million different angles, messed with it for 3 hours and my shoulders gave up. I have the transfer case still on the transmission and I'm sure thats not helping, this weekend I plan to separate them and try again with just the transmission.
Anyways, long story short, and trickery to get this thing back in?
Old 02-23-2016, 03:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Have you tried a clutch alignment tool? It's used to position the disc as you tighten down the clutch plate so the disc splines are lined up with the pilot bearing.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch

I have no Idea yet. But eventually I'm going to have to change out the clutch and I'm going to take notes on how you do it .

On a side note My parents live off of Bow Lake RD in Northwood. I'm going to visit them this summer on a Jeep-cation. I'm going to try and hit as many trails and class 6 roads as possible. I know I few where I had to turn back because I didn't have a chainsaw.... Lesson learned I'm bringing a chainsaw... I'm going to Cut and Drag the trees this time
Old 02-23-2016, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I have no Idea yet. But eventually I'm going to have to change out the clutch and I'm going to take notes on how you do it .

On a side note My parents live off of Bow Lake RD in Northwood. I'm going to visit them this summer on a Jeep-cation. I'm going to try and hit as many trails and class 6 roads as possible. I know I few where I had to turn back because I didn't have a chainsaw.... Lesson learned I'm bringing a chainsaw... I'm going to Cut and Drag the trees this time
Oh cool, I live off Bow Lake as well! About a mile from Rt 4.
Let me know, I can tell you a few places to go.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Have you tried a clutch alignment tool? It's used to position the disc as you tighten down the clutch plate so the disc splines are lined up with the pilot bearing.
Thanks man, yes I used the alignment tool.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a flywheel wrench to get everything lined up and rocked the trans back and forth while shaking the flywheel wrench and it went in after a while of fighting it. You might have to put it in and out of gear a couple of times and mess with the yoke, too.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
I used a flywheel wrench to get everything lined up and rocked the trans back and forth while shaking the flywheel wrench and it went in after a while of fighting it. You might have to put it in and out of gear a couple of times and mess with the yoke, too.
Ok thanks. I tried messing with the yoke but it's difficult to turn and fiddle with the transmission by myself. I'll try messing with the flywheel, thanks for the info.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93cbra

Ok thanks. I tried messing with the yoke but it's difficult to turn and fiddle with the transmission by myself. I'll try messing with the flywheel, thanks for the info.
Yeah, it would definitely help if you had someone to help move it around. Once you get it mated, bolt the first couple of bell housing bolts at the top before you reinstall the trans crossmember. Once the engine is tilted back to it's normal position, it's near impossible to get the top 4 bolts in.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks man. Yeah I remember that from the last time I did the clutch. I actually got one or two of the top bolts in from the engine compartment. Was a lot easier.

Quick Reply: Any tricks to getting transmission to mate to engine?