Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Any Trektop installation tips

Old 05-16-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Trektop installation tips

Just ordered a Trektop (not nx) for my 2012 4 door and it should be here friday any installation tips. I have never had a soft top so this will be all new to me. I have head make sure I install it when its nice and warm outside to help the fabric stretch any other tips?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

YOu can install it if its ~65 out it will just be tight. when you install the hardware to the sport bars I re-used the torx bolt on the b pillars instead of the cheesy bolt that came with it. also I find it is easiest to install if you bolt the header bar (after snaping it to the fabric top) and installing it windshield first then roll it back. then install the plastic slip under the overhang in the rear on both sides, there is a seam on the top that runs parrallel to the install hardware bars. make sure the seam sits outside the metal bar NOT RIGHT ON IT so there is less stress on it (i tore one that way) the material on the inside likes to bunch up and cause extra stretch.

the tailgate window is odd too, you have to install it by sliding it in from one side so you have to do it BEFORE you slip on the other rear side. Also I find that when "snapping" the rear bar in to do it at an rolled angle back towards the front then pull down the front of it again once it is click in the back. dont snap the bar down untill AFTER you have started the zippers on either side of the rear window.

leave all the doors open while installing and do not secure any of the straps until AFTER you have it clipped in and the rear window installed.

sounds like a lot but its really easy once you do it a few times.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

haha you have completely lost me, might make more sense when I get the top and start putting it on the Jeep. Thanks for the tips though I can't wait to get this thing on. Hope I made the right choice in not getting the NX model I liked how the regualr one rolls back all the way past the back seat unlike the NX just folding back over the driver section.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Did you get it installed ok?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got it installed Friday night it was a little tough because by the time UPS showed up the sun was going down and it cooled off a little bit. But I got it on without too much trouble probably would have been easier if I had installed a soft top before but this was my first one so had a little bit of a learning curve. It was very tight so I turned my Jeep on and ran the heat full blast for about 30 min and it helped out a lot and got it to stretch out enought to get it on. So far I like the top a lot it has a little wind noise but not bad enough to where I can't talk with passenger while driving on the highway. Had a little rain last night and found no leaks at all. Its supposed to rain here all week so I should have a good idea if its going to leak or not by the end of the week. Hope it stays pretty dry. Thanks for your help when I finally got all the parts out and in front of me your post made much more sense. Thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Crappy cell phone pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120521_093054.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	319597  
Old 05-21-2012, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ncbmx64
Crappy cell phone pic
Nice! Who did you order it from?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikeyo74
Nice! Who did you order it from?
I ordered from 4WD not sure if I can say that, not sure if there are a sponsored vendor. This is not the NX model so most places have them in stock. I just like this style better I prefer being able to roll the whole top back past the passenger section vs just folding back past the driver section like the NX. So far I am happy with it. Should get some good rain this week so I will report back on how it holds up in the rain.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Looks great!

BTW the back seat velcro mounting stinks in high winds, it tends to come undone. I had a sail shop locally sow in a strap like the front and have not had a problem since. but it takes a REALLY windy day before to start un velcroing it. Maybe mine was just bent/does not fit right, I got mine used on craigs list :-)
Old 05-27-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have one installed. No problem. I do have a question though, does anyone know if I take the NX off, if the hardtop will fit back on without taking the rear outside brackets off? I know the door surrounds have to come off but it would be cool to leave the brackets on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3087084917.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	322310  

Quick Reply: Any Trektop installation tips