Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Any solid 4" Lift Kits under 1K?

Old 04-08-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw the thread on the Rancho's, looks like a great deal! Looks like I will go with either these or the Pro Comp 4" lift.

Hopefully I can get them before the rebate expires! =P

Originally Posted by Hook-Em
Rancho 4" Sport will run you $1150, but right now there is a $500 rebate. That nets out to only $650. Way under $1k. I love mine!!!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Cool! How long have you had them? This ProComp kit is what shop had suggested, so I just came on here to do a little research.

How does the ride compare to stock? Would you purchase these again? Did you have to do any other mods (driveshafts, etc)?

Also, what tires are you running with this kit?

Originally Posted by Jknockers
Pro comp 4" , know many who have run it and I or them don't have any complaints
Old 04-08-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Is this absolutely essential? I was hoping the 4" lift wouldn't need this.

I'm new to all this, so I'm not too sure what the benefit of this is. I do know that a re-gear will be in order, hopefully sometime in June.

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I will assume that your 1k figure does not include driveshafts, so be sure to start setting some money aside for if/when.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by achi10
Cool! How long have you had them? This ProComp kit is what shop had suggested, so I just came on here to do a little research.

How does the ride compare to stock? Would you purchase these again? Did you have to do any other mods (driveshafts, etc)?

Also, what tires are you running with this kit?
I did everything all at once just after I got the thing, so I can't really compare, the lift makes it a little touchy to drive at first until you get use to the touchyness (if thats even a word), anyway, I have wheeled at Florence junction, glamis, and Crown king (not taking bypasses, did the hard stuff) and I think it wheels and shoots the dunes great. I am pleased with it. In Crown King I cut the boot on the front drive shaft when wheeling from axle droop, but no big deal to me. I would get the kit again, and if you have a rubicon I would opt for the 37's and get high fenders from some place also and get the superchips programmer and run 93 octane setting and run 91 or 93 if you can afford it (I only drive 10 miles a day total, unless I want to go for a little ride) , I do and it makes all the difference in the world. Oh, I run 315 Procomp extreme M/T, great grip but is a soft tire and will not last very long, I will run them again next time in the 37" size
Old 04-08-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 4in Procomp I got for 550. Its somewhat of a rough ride but it's nice regardless.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KyleTheGrouch
I have a 4in Procomp I got for 550. Its somewhat of a rough ride but it's nice regardless.
You noticed that also, also the drivers side coil contacts slightly with my sway bar when wheeling hard (no big deal but will make one he@@ of a snap when it pops past the coil, Note that I have the electric disconnect so maybe the location or length of the actual sway bar is a little different on others without the electric disconnects???????

I wheeled with a crew called desert wranglers up in Vegas where I bought the thing 45 days ago and they all run the procomp stuff and I never heard any of them complain about the stuff.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Kyle, do you have any side pics of your rig you'd be willing to share? You have pretty much what I want, the Pro Comp 4" and 35" KM2s (although I'm looking at 17s)! Would be awesome to take a look!

BTW, how much total lift do you get with the lift and KM2s? Just want to make sure I clear my garage! LOL!

Originally Posted by KyleTheGrouch
Old 04-09-2011, 02:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fwiw I have no incidental contact with any components on my Rancho lift. Beemn running it for 7 months with oem drive shafts. I'm in a 4 door.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed the Rough Country 4" lift 2 months ago. The X-flex arms are well designed and super strong. Unlike most other brands, R.C. includes 4 shocks and comes with a no questions asked lifetime warranty. The ride, both on road and off, is smooth and controlled; better than stock.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_...lift_kits.html

Several venders here sell R.C. below list.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by achi10
Is this absolutely essential? I was hoping the 4" lift wouldn't need this.

I'm new to all this, so I'm not too sure what the benefit of this is. I do know that a re-gear will be in order, hopefully sometime in June.
Lots of variables involved, so no one can tell you for sure that you will or will not lose a drive shaft. Some people are losing them with as little as 2.5", others with 4" or more are still running the stock shafts. Since you have an unlimited, the rear shaft should be ok. But keep an eye on the joint at the tcase end of your front.

The steeper angles from the lift will 'pinch' the little rubber boot in the joint, which will eventually wear through it. When that happens, it starts spitting grease, which you will see sprayed in an arc on the undercarriage above the joint. When it loses enough grease, it will dry out, make some noise, and then seize. These driveshafts are not serviceable, so you will want to replace it before it seizes. (people are losing gears and tcases, even catching on fire from seized shafts)

Anyway, make a habit of crawling underneath and looking.

Quick Reply: Any solid 4" Lift Kits under 1K?