Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Any secure trunk solutions w/ rain protection?

Old 03-05-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any secure trunk solutions w/ rain protection?

Does anyone know if it is possible to put a Besttop Duster over a Tuffy JK Security Deck Enclosure? I presume no, but confirmation would be helpful.

I ask because after reading numerous discussions:

1) It appears that the Tuffy JK Security Deck Enclosure is probably one of the most ideal ways for a 2012 JK Unlimited driver to secure stuff in the trunk.
2) If #1 holds true, there is still the issue of a decent amount of rain getting into the back seat, which I would like to avoid... although, I recognize the duster has limitations too.

Any help/recommendations/solutions to creating a secure trunk space for storing expensive gear while at the sametime reducing water into the back would be helpful. Ideally I'd like to run a bikini top w/ covered & lockable storage.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, the duster is a tight fit and won't go over the security deck

I agree that the security deck is the best alternative.

When you say getting rain in back seat, do you mean rain in trunk ? I have the duster and have never had issues with rain in the trunk or rear seat whilst the soft top is up and rear + side windows both removed.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westchester
No, the duster is a tight fit and won't go over the security deck

I agree that the security deck is the best alternative.

When you say getting rain in back seat, do you mean rain in trunk ? I have the duster and have never had issues with rain in the trunk or rear seat whilst the soft top is up and rear + side windows both removed.
Oh okay, great! Thanks for the confirmation.

I haven't seen either in person, so I wasn't sure. I read that with the security deck it tends to divert water towards the back seat. Others have made the same comment about the duster, but to a lesser degree. I think in the case of the duster, it is more when you hit the brakes and water that has pooled up rushes forward. But like I said, I don't have experience with either and I could be misunderstanding. Nonetheless, thanks for the 411... I'm totally new to the game, but super excited about my JK!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's an old photo of my JK with the Duster. If you're keeping the stock JK soft top, rain isn't an issue. If you plan using a bikini top, it will not extend as far back as the stock JK soft top and rain would be more problematic.

In the second photo, I then mounted a cargo tray above the duster, providing more security than the duster alone. This was all a few years ago, before Tuffy launched their security trunk cover.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like your set up here. Since I have the original JK soft top for summer, I figured I might as well go ahead and make use of it so I opted for the Tuffy security enclosure which I am super pleased with. Below are some photos, and I didn't capture it well, but if it were to rain some water will get in from the sides and onto the carpet but I'm not terribly worried about it. If I fear rain that significant I can always throw up the side windows if I have them in the truck. There is room behind the back seat with the security deck in place which makes for a great storage solution for the side and back windows (although, in this case, the back window has to be rolled... so maybe not a good idea?...obviously nothing is "flat" as recommended by MOPAR) meh. :crazy eyes:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3279.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	293799Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3280.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	293800Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3281.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	293801
Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Do the sharp corners on the Tuffy rub the soft top when it's folded back? I was sold on the Tuffy until I started looking at how it might interfere with a folded soft top (and prevent the use of a soft top boot).

Now I'm thinking of just fabbing some kind of enclosure out of particle board and outdoor carpet.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did have the Tuffy Security deck, but like the DeeZee tool box better, not drilling required!!! Leaves room for my dog in the back and can remove in less than 2 mins if I want it out. I have not check to see if a cover will fit over it yet?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 002.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	293812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 006.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	293813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 004.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	293814   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00492_edited.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	293815   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00490_edited.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	293816  

Old 03-22-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
Do the sharp corners on the Tuffy rub the soft top when it's folded back? I was sold on the Tuffy until I started looking at how it might interfere with a folded soft top (and prevent the use of a soft top boot).

Now I'm thinking of just fabbing some kind of enclosure out of particle board and outdoor carpet.
I haven't noticed any issue here. You could easily put some insulation tape or something else along the edges and prevent any concern what-so-ever. When I pull my soft top down, I strap it down pretty good too.

Definitely something worth keeping an eye out for though!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GunDude
I did have the Tuffy Security deck, but like the DeeZee tool box better, not drilling required!!! Leaves room for my dog in the back and can remove in less than 2 mins if I want it out. I have not check to see if a cover will fit over it yet?
Strong argument for the dog.

I went back and forth with what would be best for me. I like to be able to throw backpacks or other gear under the lid and walk away. Half of it is out of sight out of mind, the other half is, well if they try, they'll at least be slowed down.

If a professional wants your gear, they're going to get it, just trying to stop the smash and grab kids here...
Old 03-24-2012, 07:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westchester
Here's an old photo of my JK with the Duster. If you're keeping the stock JK soft top, rain isn't an issue. If you plan using a bikini top, it will not extend as far back as the stock JK soft top and rain would be more problematic.

In the second photo, I then mounted a cargo tray above the duster, providing more security than the duster alone. This was all a few years ago, before Tuffy launched their security trunk cover.

ok im a total n00b at the forum so sorry if i'm not following proper protocol. Anyway i was looking an option to just keep prying eyes out of my trunk with out spending a ton of $$$$ . looks like a duster is my best bet . will i run into any issued when using it with my stock jk soft top? will i have to remove the duster every time i want to put the top up? does anyone know of another option out there? i need the cover to me easily removable for my 2 dogs . Any help would be great thanks !

Quick Reply: Any secure trunk solutions w/ rain protection?