Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Any opinions on the new Smittybilt XRC 10 HD ?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any opinions on the new Smittybilt XRC 10 HD ?

summitracing.com/parts/SMT-99210/[/url]

These Smittybilt XRC 10 HD winches feature a revolutionary 3-stage planetary gear system that boasts a 10,000 lb. line pull rating and 148.2:1 gear ratio to deliver lightning-fast line speed. They come with a built-in 150 psi air compressor with a 2.5 gallon reservoir tank that can be mounted anywhere and 26 ft. of plastic coiled air hose, enough to air up all four of your off-road tires. The winches use a powerful 5.5 hp, 12 V wound series motor and have a 94 ft. galvanized aircraft cable with a replaceable hook.
$600 through Summit... Is this too good to be true ? Ok, yes I think Warn has a better track record than SmittyBilt, however, Smitty's bad rep came from several years ago. The new generation of winches over the last couple years have had very low failure rates, and in general are thought to be on par with Warn winches as far as reliability.

So... Warn Powerplant for $1500 or so, or a SmittyBilt for $600 give or take.

For that price I could buy 2 of the fuckers. The Smitty has a slightly higher pull rating, but doesn't have much in the way of details about the compressor. It does come with a 2.5 gallon remote air tank, and goes up to 150psi instead of 100 like the Warn.

Smitty states the compressor operates at 72L/Minute, which converts to 2.54CFM, but doesn't mention at which pressure. The Warn does 12CFM at 0 psi.

Last edited by mkjeep; 06-16-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: no non sponsor clickys
Old 06-16-2010, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

I'm no expert on winches, but this one is on my short list too. The price and fact that air is included makes it really attractive to me and my budget. Hopefully there are some other members already using it that can give first-hand observations and reviews.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I've said it once and I'll say it again. This winch is a myth. I wish it was true, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, but sadly Smittybilt has been trying to get this winch out for over a year. I'm not too sure how so many companies can continue to offer it in their catalogs, but it is not yet available, hasn't been available for a looooooonnnnnnggggg time.

If you're looking for an alternative to the Warn Powerplant. look up Titan winches. They are about as waterproof as a winch can get and they are heavy duty. He's mostly a Land Rover guy, but his winch is a 12,000 lb unit with the air compressor and everything that you need for $780. I emailed him a while back and he was very quick to respond to all of my questions regarding materials used, reliability, warranty, and everything else.

I'm still not sure what winch I will be going with, but this is on the top of my list, along with a Warn 9.5 ti....still not sure if I want an air comp built in to the winch or not....
Old 06-16-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by syndicate559
I'm no expert on winches, but this one is on my short list too. The price and fact that air is included makes it really attractive to me and my budget. Hopefully there are some other members already using it that can give first-hand observations and reviews.
Well from the looks of it, the winch is arguably better than the warn 9500ti, it's made by Titan winches. Plus it's Chinese assembled so I trust it more than an American built winch.

The compressor however is not in the same league as the Warn. Warn's compressor is 12CFM @ 0 PSI. Smitty's is 2.54CFM @ 0 PSI. At 90PSI, Warn's compressor is still pusshing 4CFM while Smitty's is going to be down under 2CFM.

On the flipside, the Smitty compressor is still MUCH better than the big Viair 480 series compressors.

Warn's compressor in standalone form costs around $550 with a neat frame around it and a built in tank. So you can see where the extra money goes in the Warn product. However, with a 2.5 Gallon tank, you're still going to have full tires within 10 minutes. I think I'll go with the Smittybilt, and Paint it Red and stick a Warn sticker on it.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XRC winch

I bought my first winch (an XRC winch) for like $299. It was great, I had no issues.

I bought it at WINCHDEPOT.COM they were the lowest priced place i could find, they gave me free shipping and a free lifetime warranty on any part of the winch even the cable.

"If the cable breaks call us well send you a new winch" there words not mine!!!

I since sold that jeep with that winch but when I do get another winch, they will be my first call.

All they sell is winches....Id call them and see if they can get you what your looking for.

I got my winch about 3 years ago, im sure a few things have changed since then but there still worth a call or visit online.....

GOOD LUCK with the search!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

For what its worth I picked up a XRC8 with synthetic line at Jeep Fest last weekend. The Smittybuilt rep told me that they will be making a coversion provision for air on existing winches. We will see....

Quick Reply: Any opinions on the new Smittybilt XRC 10 HD ?