Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Any one get a custom tune for 2011+ Jk?

Old 10-18-2016, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone get a Custom Tune with a Wrangler 2012+ Diablo Sport? I was curious if anyone has gotten a custom tune for a 2012+ wrangler. I have been using tuners since they first came out and I know that the caned tunes leave a lot on the table. I also see the 3.6 makes more HP in other platforms although that could be due to intake or other. I also see that they can tun to run off of E85 now as well. I know JK folks are not all that concerned about extra power per say, but I think with a CAI/Cat back there may be a lot left on the table with a custom tune. I have emailed hemituner, johan and overkill to get their input. He is a stand up guy that has been in the tuning community for a long time so I don't think it is hype. I have used tuners since they first came out in 2004 and I have always had better results from custom tunes and on some vehicals it was a big improvement over the caned tunes.

I got a reply from hemi tunner as follows:
hey man. I've got a good tune for this. More full throttle power for sure. I can give you more low/mid rpm power too with some advanced engine timing right off idle to help with your rock crawling. I have a $125 tune option and I think you'll be satisfied with the results.

I have surfed some of the Chrysler platform forums and guys have seen good results. Running e85 is a first for me but sounds interesting.

Just curious if anyone has had a custom tune or other input. Here is an interesting review of power gains from overkill. Granted it looks like some of these numbers are from the 3.6 in other platforms. http://www.getoverkilled.ca/wrangler.html Taken from the webpage below It's with pride to be a premier tuner for the 3.6 Pentastar V6 found in your 2012-current Jeep Wrangler. Overkill specializes in making your Pentastar perform its best whether your Wrangler is a rock crawler or pavement prowler. Features/Benefits: Dyno tested 25+ wheel horsepower gains over factory on 93 tune, 40+ horsepower gain on E85, doubles the gains of the preloaded Diablo tune Tune purchase includes 87 octane, 91, 93 octane and E85 tune (if flex fuel) calibration files plus custom revisions based on scans for your vehicle Significant torque gains in the mid-range Improved throttle response and feel, smoother acceleration at all throttle positions Fuel mileage potential is improved (3MPG improvements reported on 91 octane) Reprogramming available for lower temperature thermostat, highflow cat converter replacement, intake and exhaust modifications. No Charge Retuning for as long as you own your Pentastar vehicle! The gains speak for themselves: Customer#1 0-60mph times...Stock 6.4-6.5...Diablo 6.1-6.2...Overkill 5.7-5.8 Customer #2 Pro Torque Horsepower...Stock 226whp...Diablo 248whp...Overkill 269whp Customer #3 Dyno Tested Overkill E85 Tune 266whp vs 261whp from a Competitor's E85 custom tune, with max gain of 8whp non-peak Customer #4 Dyno Tested Overkill E85 Tune 267whp vs 238whp from Diablo preloaded tune, a 29 wheel horsepower gain Customer #5 Using Overkill 91Plus tune dropped .7 seconds from 0-60 vs factory tune, .3 seconds 0-60 vs Diablo preloaded tune What Makes Overkill Pentastar tuning the right choice: E85 Tuning - Thanks to the efforts of Diablosport and Overkill Motorsport, there is proper E85 Pentastar tuning capability since October 2014. We continue to lead the way in Pentastar E85 tuning. Throttle Body Programming - Rather than bump the factory throttle curve up 10-20%, we reslope it properly with a smooth curve, to provide better and more natural feel. We also responsibly program part throttle fueling to match the throttle opening rate, something preloaded and competing tunes don't do. Knock sensors are enabled at a lower engine rpm versus the factory programming in many instances, improving engine safety Fuel Injector Calibration is improved over poorly programmed factory settings, an Overkill exclusive feature, which improves fuel economy Each tune file is hand written to ensure you get the right programming and the best results

Last edited by Learo2000GT; 10-18-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read that if you swap the computer with one from a challenger you'll make 350hp.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I've read that if you swap the computer with one from a challenger you'll make 350hp.
And will do wheelies and go 100 in 2nd gear.

Those were the most notable gains.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always love when guys think a cone filter under the hood will improve power. Cone filters without a supporting input scoop will reduce power compared to a stock airbox on pretty much any vehicle. Going from a stable cool outside airflow to sucking hot, low pressure air from the engine compartment doesn't make sense to me. The only thing that can improve power is to do a tune or boost. On pump gas there is very little difference on the tunes, but you might see some as they play with the timing to work with other premium fuels. Catback systems also don't really affect your power either, just sound.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
I always love when guys think a cone filter under the hood will improve power. Cone filters without a supporting input scoop will reduce power compared to a stock airbox on pretty much any vehicle. Going from a stable cool outside airflow to sucking hot, low pressure air from the engine compartment doesn't make sense to me. The only thing that can improve power is to do a tune or boost. On pump gas there is very little difference on the tunes, but you might see some as they play with the timing to work with other premium fuels. Catback systems also don't really affect your power either, just sound.
I agree that a cai isn't a real power adder. However when I add a bit better free flowing exhaust and get a custom tune I have seen real good improvements. I am currently running a cai, magnaflow off road cat back and a caned tune in a heavy jeep and smoke my buddy in a Jk 3.6 with no mods and I have a JKU and we both have lifts,armor and 35s. The canned tunes do make a differance but in all of my years of using runners custom tunes are a night and day differance. Granted that was with V8 hot rod type cars and grand Cherokee with 5.7. . I was surfing some of the other penstar vehical forums and they have seen a nice differance with caned tunes. Seen a lot of reports with a .5 off 60 second time. I think the bottle kneck maybe our intake and possiable the heads but the heads should be able to meet the increased flow from an upper intake port and TB. That being said I am not looking to make my jeep a speed demon I am just looking to maximize the power with out losing tq for crawling. I am stepping up from 35s to small 37s (ko2). I have been emailing johna and Sean at hemi tunner and they have told me they have had good results with increased power across the whole power band and they dial it in with datalogging to ensure crawling is still in good shape. These guys are the best of the best when it comes to Chrysler tunning and they wouldn't blow smoke up anyone's ass to get the money. Plus a custom tune with just basic bolt ins is only a 100 bucks so what the hell. There is a lot more to tunning then just adding timing. Anyone can do that with caned tunes. There are a lot of remapping variables that come into play.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cone filters are not cold air intakes, that's all I was getting at. A snorkel is a cold air intake, the stock air box pulling air from the corner of the hood could be considered a cold air intake, a cone filter sitting in the corner of the engine bay is not. I'm sure that adjusting the tune is great, but exhaust mods will not make any noticeable difference except for maybe driver seat horsepower. Stock exhaust and stock air boxes aren't restricted in new vehicles like so many aftermarket manufacturers would like to sell you. Adjusting timing to run less fuel efficient and adjusting the electronic throttle response is all you would need to get that better 0-60 time.

I'm sure that even with a programmer I would still have to use 5th gear to go 120km/h in a 70km/h headwind.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is so much more to a custom tune then adjusting fuel and timing. I have been working with runners since 2013 and they send u a bar tune and u do some datalogging and they make changes to a lot of factors. I just got a tune from johna and Orr data logging it's a beast. Flat out screams and barks second hard in second gear. It's not about gaining peak hp and tq it's dialing it in through out the whole power band. Now this is a 3.6 not a 6.4 so gains won't be jn same ballpark. But for 100 bucks it's well worth it. To really dial a tune in a wideband is needed but once again we are talking a 3.6 Vs a big motor. Also more air in and more air out only matters if the motor adjust for it and the maf counts can only be use to a point with a canned tune. It's not going to turn it into a race car but every bit helps when we are talking about having a heavy jeep.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 3.8l with 37s and 4.88s barks hard in 2nd gear so that statement says nothing to impress me.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I have done some datalogging to get it tweaked. The fueling and timing are obviously adjusted, the custom tune willalso take into consideration your location, exact mods and fuel used. Plus it can be made more aggressive than canned tune with log feedback. Also runners havf have better knowledge on how to manipulate the torque management system to work at optimum performance.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

are most pro's working with hp tuners on this platform? I also am not looking for a peak horsepower number. Really just want to optimize air/fuel/timing across the powerband and across throttle positions. Ultimate goal would be to pick up a little pep, but have a slightly cooler running engine at altitude, after optimization on 91 octane fuel.

Quick Reply: Any one get a custom tune for 2011+ Jk?