Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Any drive shaft issues caused by running Teraflex 2.5" 4-door coils on a 2-door?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any drive shaft issues caused by running Teraflex 2.5" 4-door coils on a 2-door?

I have a stock 2011 2-door automatic Rubicon, and I'm getting ready to install the 4-door version of the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift with shocks (Part #1251000). I will also be installing a Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper (the winch mount version, but no winch yet), ACE rock sliders (mounted below the Rubi rails), and 285/70/17 Duratracs with ProComp 17x9 wheels (mounted on the stock tire carrier).

Even with the added weight, I'm worried that the additional height gained by running the 4-door coils on a 2-door will give me more than 3" of lift, which I understand could cause issues with the front and rear drive shafts (e.g. torn boots, rubbing on the transmission skid plate).

Has anyone with a similar setup run into any drive shaft issues? How about when disconnected at full flex? I know Teraflex used to use the same 2.5" coils in both the 4-door and 2-door kits, so I'm sure there are folks out there who have been running these coils on their 2-doors for a while. Any issues caused by the additional height?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be fine, also the original kits used the 3-4" shocks vs. the 2.5" shocks they have now.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

People are reporting 4" of lift with 4door coils on a 2door ??

With the bumper/winch, expect 3.5" or so. Disconnected, plan on the front shaft contacting the skid, and corner of the tranny ripping the boot. As long as you are not bashing in the tranny, you can live with it.

Just keep an eye on the joints at the tcase ends of both shafts for grease splatter.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 2DR TF coil lift and I ripped my boot disconnected probably around the time this pic was taken....
I just replaced the front driveshaft because I was feeling vibrations.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JK down daniel.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	211108  
Old 09-26-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mvymr
I have a stock 2011 2-door automatic Rubicon, and I'm getting ready to install the 4-door version of the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift with shocks (Part #1251000). I will also be installing a Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper (the winch mount version, but no winch yet), ACE rock sliders (mounted below the Rubi rails), and 285/70/17 Duratracs with ProComp 17x9 wheels (mounted on the stock tire carrier).

Even with the added weight, I'm worried that the additional height gained by running the 4-door coils on a 2-door will give me more than 3" of lift, which I understand could cause issues with the front and rear drive shafts (e.g. torn boots, rubbing on the transmission skid plate).

Has anyone with a similar setup run into any drive shaft issues? How about when disconnected at full flex? I know Teraflex used to use the same 2.5" coils in both the 4-door and 2-door kits, so I'm sure there are folks out there who have been running these coils on their 2-doors for a while. Any issues caused by the additional height?
Originally Posted by nthinuf
People are reporting 4" of lift with 4door coils on a 2door ??

With the bumper/winch, expect 3.5" or so. Disconnected, plan on the front shaft contacting the skid, and corner of the tranny ripping the boot. As long as you are not bashing in the tranny, you can live with it.

Just keep an eye on the joints at the tcase ends of both shafts for grease splatter.
I believe its a hell of a lot more than 3.5" of lift with a bumper and winch on there. I just did the 2.5" coils from a 4 door on my 2 door which are the same 2 door coils in the 3" 2 door kit. Looks like I got almost 6" of lift.... I have more than a foot of clearance between the fenders and the 37" tires so this thing is now a monster. But on a side note my stock drive shafts have near perfect angles and there are no problems with vibs at all. Im running the Rugged Ridge front bumper w/stinger and winch along with the 2.5" 4 door lift. The front driveshaft at full droop is not hitting anything but I have a manual. As for your tires, Im running 37 Goodyear MTR/Ks and theres tons of room for them. There is no doubt in my mind 40s would fit so your Duratracs will look mighty small.

Heres a quick pic my buddy took. I wouldve taken more but my phone broke during the install and Ive yet to get a new one lol.

Last edited by racin444; 09-27-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
You should be fine, also the original kits used the 3-4" shocks vs. the 2.5" shocks they have now.
Does this imply that their will be an issue with the older kits, or even newer kits with non-TF shocks?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedJK2
Does this imply that their will be an issue with the older kits, or even newer kits with non-TF shocks?
The 4" shocks would allow the axle to droop more than the 2.5" shocks. Therefore you might run into more problems with the bigger shocks.

Quick Reply: Any drive shaft issues caused by running Teraflex 2.5" 4-door coils on a 2-door?