Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Any advantages to 16" rims

Old 08-18-2008, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advantages to 16" rims

Im fixn to order a set of wheels and tires. Im intrested in 16" wheels because i would be saveing about $400.00 on tires. Is this why mostly everyone is running 16's or is there another reason? Has anyone delt with morris 4x4 center?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep-n-tee
... i would be saveing about $400.00 on tires. Is this why mostly everyone is running 16's or is there another reason? ...
I'm not sure that "mostly everyone is running 16s." There are certainly a lot of us; they came stock on my 07 X. And, when I upgraded, I chose 16s because they go nicely with the 33" tires I bought. The general rule of thumb (and there are plenty who break it) is have wheels one-half the diameter of your tires. This gives plenty of sidewall to protect the wheel during off-road activity when aired down (which is why you don't see many folks going for 20s and up). And it gives a nice balance to the vehicle's appearance. Some folks even do 15s, but that is risky because you may have clearance issues with the brake caliper.

Bottom line: What size tires are you looking at?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
...... This gives plenty of sidewall to protect the wheel during off-road activity when aired down (which is why you don't see many folks going for 20s and up). And it gives a nice balance to the vehicle's appearance. Some folks even do 15s, but that is risky because you may have clearance issues with the brake caliper.
I personally chose the 16" for the price and the guaranteed fitment. I know that most 16" rims & tires are a lot cheaper than 17s or 18s. I wanted to get 15s, but at the time I've heard that the fitment could be a hit or miss and the best way was to do a test fit, which wouldnt be practical for me since I would have to order them...I am currently running 33's on the 16x8, but will eventually upgrade to 35s or 37s with 12.5" width & I at least know that those tires will still fit my 16s
Old 08-18-2008, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

I also believe that the more sidewall you have, ie. larger tire, smaller rim, the less stability you have on road. Someone here correct me if I am wrong.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by pulmano1
I also believe that the more sidewall you have, ie. larger tire, smaller rim, the less stability you have on road. Someone here correct me if I am wrong.
This was my previous ride before....I ran Super Swampers TSL 44" tires on a 15" rim. I have driven it 60mph and it was very stable, just very cautious on turns, which is to be expected because of the COG......Maybe different handling since it's not a Jeep, but worked well for me....

Last edited by aldaman; 08-18-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

I'm not sure that "mostly everyone is running 16s." There are certainly a lot of us; they came stock on my 07 X. And, when I upgraded, I chose 16s because they go nicely with the 33" tires I bought. The general rule of thumb (and there are plenty who break it) is have wheels one-half the diameter of your tires. This gives plenty of sidewall to protect the wheel during off-road activity when aired down (which is why you don't see many folks going for 20s and up). And it gives a nice balance to the vehicle's appearance. Some folks even do 15s, but that is risky because you may have clearance issues with the brake caliper.

Mark hit the nail on the head. However, like someone else posted, a bigger sidewall will do wonders for you offroad, but has more give on road. I personally went with 16's due to cost also, they are much cheaper for the rim and the tire.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

well everyone is telling you why they got their 16" rims, well i would have got 16" rims also but I got a heck of a deal on my ($600 for 4)37" Goodyear tires that fits a 17" rim. I agree that the tire size should be twice the rim size.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

i think im going with 35x12.5-16 mic. thomp. mtz
Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TxCop07
well everyone is telling you why they got their 16" rims, well i would have got 16" rims also but I got a heck of a deal on my ($600 for 4)37" Goodyear tires that fits a 17" rim. I agree that the tire size should be twice the rim size.
How the hell did you manage that? I have been looking for some time and never got anywhere near that lucky. Please do tell
Old 08-18-2008, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep-n-tee
i think im going with 35x12.5-16 mic. thomp. mtz
They would actually be 315/75-16 which is really the same. For some goofy reason going to 16's they do that but 15's or 17's they would be 35x12.5-15 or 35x12.5-17.. I don't know why but that seems to be mostly what i have seen.

Quick Reply: Any advantages to 16" rims