Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Antenna Mod

Old 10-26-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Mod

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0901.JPG
Views:	615
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	14634

I had been looking to replace my antenna with a black one with no luck. All I could find were the Shorty style, and I dont like them. So I took the stock one off, taped the threads, and sprayed it with "Plasti-Dip". I gave 3 coats just so that each coat would not produce any drips. As I'm going with flat black wheels, the stock color didn't look right.

I think it looks great, and it has a rubberized protection that keeps it from damaging my windshield lights when it hits it.

Total cost $3.99

Last edited by BigBadMike; 10-26-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the right up. Let us know if it effects the FM radio any.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Choppus
Thanks for the right up. Let us know if it effects the FM radio any.
There have been no ill effects from the Plasti-Dip. It is basically a rubber compound that comes out wet and dries. Unlike paint that can actually have some metal flakes in it for color, the Plasti-dip has nothing that would interfer with reception. Should be able to put 20 coats on with no change in reception quality.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:08 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by BigBadMike
There have been no ill effects from the Plasti-Dip. It is basically a rubber compound that comes out wet and dries. Unlike paint that can actually have some metal flakes in it for color, the Plasti-dip has nothing that would interfer with reception. Should be able to put 20 coats on with no change in reception quality.
yes........it doesn't matter how much rubber you put on it, it won't affect rf from getting to the antenna at all. BUT......I'm wondering, have any of you compared your reception with other radios? I seem to be noticing that the stock jeep radio reception isn't as good as my wifes' Rav4, or my F250. Has anybody else noticed this?
Old 10-26-2008, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
yes........it doesn't matter how much rubber you put on it, it won't affect rf from getting to the antenna at all. BUT......I'm wondering, have any of you compared your reception with other radios? I seem to be noticing that the stock jeep radio reception isn't as good as my wifes' Rav4, or my F250. Has anybody else noticed this?
That was one of the first things my wife pointed out, was that her favorite station verges on fading in and out. The sat is great, but different ant. Since I think most stuff on the radio is garbage anyway, and only really listen to my cd's (downloaded to Hard drive) I really dont care about reception myself that much. I wanted to take the "Shiney Stuff" off the jeep. That was my real goal.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have to admit I'd never heard of "plasti-dip". I take it you obtain it at hardware stores?

Mac
Old 10-26-2008, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Breaktrack
I have to admit I'd never heard of "plasti-dip". I take it you obtain it at hardware stores?

Mac
Yes sir. It is sold in both a "Dip" and a "Spray" and is commonly used to coat the handles of tools like wrenches and hammers and the like for better grip. Home Depot $3.99 for the spray can. The "Dip" type will not last more than a couple of days after it is opened. The Spray will last until you use it all.

Obviously the "Dip" type is not going to be user friendly for this type of application as the can is only about 6 inches tall and the antenna is about 3 feet. Just make sure to use multiple thin coats so it doesn't run on you, or you'll wind up with a black icecicle on the end of your antenna,
Old 10-26-2008, 05:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BigBadMike
That was one of the first things my wife pointed out, was that her favorite station verges on fading in and out. The sat is great, but different ant. Since I think most stuff on the radio is garbage anyway, and only really listen to my cd's (downloaded to Hard drive) I really dont care about reception myself that much. I wanted to take the "Shiney Stuff" off the jeep. That was my real goal.
I know how you feel. Every piece of chrome or stainless on mine is gone or covered. The antenna got swapped the first week, then rotated and attached. I went with a thicker black one with no swirly wire around it. It affected the far away channels a little, but the radio stays on Sirius blues all the time anyway.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I sprayed mine with some flat black that was in the garage. Looks a lot better or is it the lack of noticing it as much?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea. Good thing for those windshield lights.

Quick Reply: Antenna Mod