Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another what lift thread... I know I know.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another what lift thread... I know I know.

Ya'll are probably tired of seeing these on here, that is why I have been so hesitant to even post this. But it is coming up on the time to start modifying more than just the little here and theres.

To start off with I have a black 2008 4dr with a 6 speed, I'm not 100% sure on the gear ratio. I live in WV and drive around 100 miles of rough, pothole covered coal roads to and from work daily, so the lift I choose should be able to take some daily abuse and I would really prefer not to get beat to death like I did in my last two jeeps (yj and tj). I don't wheel really often but it sees trails (notorious for taking my jeeps places people wouldn't even take 4wheelers) once a month. I will not be wheeling this one near as hard as the old ones though. That being said I really don't think I need a long arm kit.

Anyway, My lift choices are as follows.

Zone offroad 3"
3" JK Suspension System J12/J13

Rusty's offroad 3" basic lift
Rusty's JK Wrangler 3.25" Basic Kit - JK Wrangler & Rubicon ('07+) - Jeep Suspension Lift Kits - Jeep Suspension

or break down and just piece one together from evo plush coils, bilstein shocks and rk everything else

I really don't want to spend the kind of money it takes to piece one together from the best of the best but in the end you get what you pay for.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

If I didn't have money to burn I'd be staying bone stock and taking advantage of new springs shocks tires rims etc when needed. If I didn't have it to burn and ate slept and drank 4 wheelin then I'd grab some ones used kit on this or another forums classifieds. If I never drove off road much and it wasn't a way of life then I wouldn't be spending money that you'll have to spend more money, then more money, because the list of things that needs changing gets long after you start lifting as you already know. Driving past people in your stock jeep is the way to go and the list of cheap parts is long and never ending. You'll never regret not spending the money.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't put it as an option but a dealer around me puts BDS lifts on half of the Jeeps they sell and while it may not be top of the line, most people seem Happy.

Give them a look.

I have Rock Krawler Stock Mod on mine with Bilsteins, brake lines, and front lower control arms $1,150 total. I really like it.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Former Vendor

Rock Krawler +1

I have the 2.5" X-Factor Plus. All of the RK parts are incredibly strong!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

a friend of mine has bds on his 2dr with 33x12.5's and i bounce my head off the top everywhere I go... Thank the lord for soft tops.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by hamrickac
a friend of mine has bds on his 2dr with 33x12.5's and i bounce my head off the top everywhere I go... Thank the lord for soft tops.
I'm about to get a 3" bds lift with the fox shocks upgrade and I've heard lots of good reviews on this setup

Maybe the fox shocks help?

Matthew
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

It seems like the most important thing to you is to have a soft ride over your 100 mile commute. I would try then to get adjustable shocks like Rancho RS shocks, so you can tune them to how you like. I would also strongly recommend airing down your tires to around 15psi (I assume you're driving logging roads, not highway?). It will make a HUGE difference. An adjustable front track bar will also help to track straighter over bumps, if you are lifting it 2.5" or more.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

What about AEV? I hear that their setup makes for a really nice ride.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 PM
JK Freak

I'v ridden in JK's with Old Man Emu springs and Fox 2.o's,,,, great ride,, 8 position adjustable shocks. When on the pavement,, dial them up stiff. On dirt,, soften to your heart's desire!!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bfschor
What about AEV? I hear that their setup makes for a really nice ride.
I've got the AEV 2.5" with 33s. Its just like factory. I was surprised. Its pricey though. On all my previous Jeeps, you could tell the difference in the ride when lifted. AEV got it pretty spot on.

Quick Reply: Another what lift thread... I know I know.