Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another Vibration Issue

Old 01-24-2018, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Vibration Issue

I know there are many threads about vibrations out there but I cannot find what I am looking for. I have an 13 JK, 3.5" lift, 33" tires, aftermarket drive shafts. About a week ago I ran it in 4 hi due to ice and snow, when I put it back in 2 wheel drive I picked up a vibration. The vibration has now continued whether in 4 or 2 wheel drive. It also only does it when you are under power or decelerating. Meaning that when you first let off the gas it goes away to resume when the engine RPMS drop low enough to start slowing the jeep. Also if you shift into neutral it goes away. I have found that my axle seals are leaking and plan to replace them this weekend but did not know if this would cause a vibration. Also the fact that it goes away when there is no resistance on the drivetrain has me stumped. Anyone have any ideas.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Worn mounts possibly? Leaky axle seal not going to have any bearing on vibration.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Worn mounts possibly? Leaky axle seal not going to have any bearing on vibration.
I did not think it would, buddy said something about a warped axle but I have not been in anything serious in a couple months.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,637 Posts

I'm only thinking from a logical standpoint, that the issue didn't seem to start until you had it in 4WD....at which point you would have had extra tension in the system, then after shifting back to 2WD, vibs there regardless of 2WD or 4WD. Also, when letting off the gas or shifting to neutral it goes away....times when there is less stress. Although I've never had a warped axle, I 1) can't imagine that just spontaneously happening, and 2) would think main effect of that would be way out of spec camber than driveline vibes. I'm lead to believe vibes are originating from tranny/TC, not the axle.

Axle seals do wear from time to time. I've had to randomly fix on my '13....in fact, noticed the other day I have one right now to address.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

That's what has me concerned is tranny or transfer, I was wondering if anyone had similar problem.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

If you have a double cardan on either drive shaft, make sure it is lubed. Check it for play in the center piece, too.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a silly question, have you checked your wheels for snow or ice build-up?
Old 01-26-2018, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Vibration under load and under coast points to a ujoint problem. Ujoints in aftermarket shafts are typically greasable and if you haven't don't that, they may be toast.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
As a silly question, have you checked your wheels for snow or ice build-up?
Yes is parked in insulated garage every night also so everything would have melted off.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fromme
Vibration under load and under coast points to a ujoint problem. Ujoints in aftermarket shafts are typically greasable and if you haven't don't that, they may be toast.
I have checked and greased them, don't see any visible play. I did have to replace one about a month ago but have not had any issues till this popped up.

Quick Reply: Another Vibration Issue