Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another Traction Control Issue thread

Old 04-02-2020, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another Traction Control Issue thread

Last year my dad and I picked up a well worn 2007 Rubicon. We set about replacing all the wear items like ball joints, u-joints, bearings, hoses, cooler lines, manifolds, etc. We also replaced shocks, brakes, and re-geared to 5.13. We then drove the Jeep out to Colorado where I live and found out the steering gear box was leaking so we replaced that with a rebuilt one from Napa. It was after that I noticed that the traction control would kick in when doing sweeping corners or switchbacks. The Jeep is lifted 3.5" with 35s. It might have been doing it all along but we never noticed it on our 1500 mile drive to Colorado and the Jeep wasn't driven by us much at all before we started all the repairs.

Initial research said the steering wheel wasn't centered. Since the drag link was essentially fused we replaced it, the tie rod and track bar with all new Steer Smarts XD stuff. I also removed the drop pitman arm and did the drag link flip. We also installed Core adjustable control arms and a Terra Flex rear track bar while we were at it. These mods made the Jeep handle incredibly well compared to how flighty it was on our drive out to Colorado. However, our attempts to center and align everything didn't fix the issue so I took it to our best known 4x4 shop in the area and they did an alignment and worked on it and didn't have success either. They suggested I take it to the dealer for deeper code scans which I did. The dealer updated programming but it didn't solve the problem. They told me the speed sensors all seemed to be fine. Another note of possible importance is that before setting out for Colorado we took to a dealer for clock spring warranty replacement.

The other day I was playing around with the JSCAN app and while I didn't see any stored codes I did see all these codes in the System Scan function. The ones that draw my attention are the U0125 and U0415. I do have the override switch installed to kill ABS and traction control when off-roading so I'm wondering if these are codes from using it? Code B142D says my radio antenna isn't connected yet the radio works just fine so I'm not sure how much I can trust any of these codes.

As far as I can tell, the only things that don't work properly and normal on the Jeep is the traction control issue, the electric door locks and the rear window defroster. But the tab on the defroster has broken away from the window so I know why it isn't working. I know there is a lot of knowledge here so maybe someone knows the fix for the traction control issue. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,637 Posts

So this is a lot more information than from the other thread. I still think that the ABS module code is concerning, and it seems like there’s a comminucation issue with the CANbus. I’d be leary of the ABS kill switch you installed. Maybe I’m going by the theory of eliminate the easiest culprits being the issue first. I am along the lines that this is an electrical thing rather than a mechanical issue (gremlin in the steering components).

@ronjenx - do you have a thought on this?
Old 04-03-2020, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
So this is a lot more information than from the other thread. I still think that the ABS module code is concerning, and it seems like there’s a comminucation issue with the CANbus. I’d be leary of the ABS kill switch you installed. Maybe I’m going by the theory of eliminate the easiest culprits being the issue first. I am along the lines that this is an electrical thing rather than a mechanical issue (gremlin in the steering components).

@ronjenx - do you have a thought on this?
I agree with you that I think the issue is also electrical. I'm wondering if possibly a bad dynamic sensor? I didn't install the ABS kill switch. It was already there when I got the Jeep. But it does make climbing up the switchbacks south of Ouray easier. Otherwise, the traction control would be shutting me down every corner. I'd be happy to remove it if it fixes this issue, though.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Almost all of my offroading is in 4Lo, so traction control is killed. I've been through most those passes in Ouray so I know the switchbacks you're talking about. I've never had issues, but can't recall what I was in at the time. I don't have a 4:1 TC so even in 4Lo I can cruise up to 20mph or so. I think ESPECIALLY since that switch was installed by someone else, I think I would remove that from the loop just to see. It seems like the easiest progression to the troubleshooting. That's just my opinion though. Did you clear all those codes down in the various modules in Jscan to see if they come back?
Old 04-03-2020, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Almost all of my offroading is in 4Lo, so traction control is killed. I've been through most those passes in Ouray so I know the switchbacks you're talking about. I've never had issues, but can't recall what I was in at the time. I don't have a 4:1 TC so even in 4Lo I can cruise up to 20mph or so. I think ESPECIALLY since that switch was installed by someone else, I think I would remove that from the loop just to see. It seems like the easiest progression to the troubleshooting. That's just my opinion though. Did you clear all those codes down in the various modules in Jscan to see if they come back?
I'll have to figure out how the switch is wired. Maybe it will be an easy disconnect. I've never really looked at it before. I have tried clearing the trouble codes but JSCAN will clear all but these.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I have never looked at installing a kill switch, but this link was just posted in a different thread and wondering if it might be useful if this is what the previous owner did.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...riteup-260247/

Old 04-04-2020, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Just out of curiosity, when you set the new tire size with Jscan, did the ecm hold the setting?
Old 04-05-2020, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

I have never looked at installing a kill switch, but this link was just posted in a different thread and wondering if it might be useful if this is what the previous owner did.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...riteup-260247/
I talked to my dad about the switch yesterday and turns out he installed it. He's a good wiring and electronics guy and he said he couldn't see how it would have any effect on the dynamic sensor when not in use as all it does is interrupt the voltage when in use and restores it when not. He said it's very simple. He also believes some of the codes are from using it and are stored but the JSCAN app won't clear them.

Originally Posted by jdinny
Just out of curiosity, when you set the new tire size with Jscan, did the ecm hold the setting?
It did. I also had to change the axle ratio since we regeared to 5.13. Speedometer is pretty much dead on now.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Well I think I solved the traction control issue. Since the issue wasn't observed until after the steering gear box install I wondered if we might have damaged the speed sensor on accident while dropping the gear box in. Since I have some extra sensors laying around I figured I'd swap it out and see. But when I reached in to disconnect the sensor I realized it wasn't fully seated so I snapped it in firmly. Test drives on my curves prove that it is now not kicking in at any speed I can comfortably take the curves at. Before in the same curves it would kick in even at normal speeds. I can't believe a 4x4 shop or the dealer didn't check something as simple as that when trying to diagnose the problem. This is proof, folks, that it's better to learn to work on your vehicles. Now if I can just figure out the darn door locks.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

well, that was the most important fix. presume you've cleared those codes (might have to do it in the ABS module on Jscan.

The door locks.....both sides have same reaction at same time when they decide to work or not?

Quick Reply: Another Traction Control Issue thread