Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another TIRE question...

Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Another TIRE question...

I know it's recommended to regear at 37" tires. I never really heard of or seen anyone running 36", at least not in my area, do they require regearing as well or can I get away staying stock. Vehicle is an 07 unlimited, 3" lift, never goes off road, mostly weekend driving and highway travel. Don't give me any shit, I have an 08 unlimited I beat the hell out of, I like having a nice one to go out in, haha. Thanks. And I did a search, nothing with a definite answer.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Auto or manual tranny?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:42 AM
JK Junkie

The difference (if you want to call it that) from your standard 36 to 37 inch tire is not going to be much. Needless to say, this topic (along with a few others) are beaten to death on the forums....

So, like I say in other posts by fellow members asking questions such as these - I'll give some information outside of the question asked since 894385890476894376984 "how to's" and "know-all" responses will be following suit;

36" tire is not a common size. If you run into a problem out on the trail, you have a better chance finding a spare for a 35'' or 37". Just some food for thought.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Auto, no off road.

And I mentioned before, I realize tire questions have been beaten to death, found posts all day on 37s, 35's, but I did a search and nothing really came up on 36's. I'm at work, using my phone so I definitely could have missed something.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:06 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Erikz16
Auto, no off road.

And I mentioned before, I realize tire questions have been beaten to death, found posts all day on 37s, 35's, but I did a search and nothing really came up on 36's. I'm at work, using my phone so I definitely could have missed something.
Most likely because as I stated, a 36" tire isn't really common. Stock, 33", 35", 37", 40".

Try staying logged into the forum, but open a new tab and go to Google and type in 36" tire JK-Forum.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, will do, thanks. Guess I'm fishing for a guy whose been running 36's on stock gears for awhile now and is going to tell me I have nothing to worry about.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll answer your question, but from the 37's stand point. I don't know what gears you're currently running, but if 3.21's, then yes, you will definitely want to regear. Even on 3.73's, you'll likely want to regear because your Jeep will be a turd.

I know it doesn't say so, but my '11 Unlimited is a Rubicon and I drove around on 4.10's and 37's for almost a year and a half, with about 11 months of that as a daily driver. It was liveable, but not likeable, if that makes any sense. Acceleration was shit, gas mileage was just as bad, and even though it never has been able to, my rig just couldn't get out of its own way. I'd imagine it's not any better with 35's on 3.21's/3.73's, so going up to 36's would be likely just as bad.

If you're asking if you'll hurt anything....no. Your rig doesn't have enough power to spin large tires with enough force to damage anything, especially on-road. So if you're serious about getting 36's, go for it and regear when you can. But at some point, I promise....you'll want to regear. I know I did....and now I'm on 5.13's. Much better!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Outstanding, exactly the answer I was looking for! Thanks for not telling me to do a search.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Erikz16
And I did a search, nothing with a definite answer.
That's because it is all opinion and preference, there can't be a 'definite' answer.

It's your jeep. If you can live with the gutlessness of 36's/37's with stock gears, go for it. If you find that you thoroughly hate driving it because of the total lack of power, then save up some money and regear.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Although it will never go off road and is mainly driven around town, regearing will definitely happen, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to damage/destroy anything if I didn't do it right away. I only drive it 1-2 a week, if that, and am basically doing bigger tires for cosmetics, so regearing isn't at the top of my list.

Quick Reply: Another TIRE question...