Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another tire question....

Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another tire question....

I've got a 2dr with OME HD coil/shock lift. I'm mulling over 35X12.5X70 either the Nitto Trail Grapplers or Goodyear MTR's. I'd like to stick with the OE rims at this point in time. From what I've researched, it looks like I'll only need 1 1/2" spacers and everything should work out just fine (no rubbing etc..).

Anyone have this exact set-up on thier 2dr's? I'd love to see pictures posted here if you do. Also would appreciate any input on one vs. the other. There are sooooo many options out there your head could spin trying to figure out which set up is the best. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Both are great tires. I went with the MTR/K. They grip rocks very well and ride well on the street.

Only negative about the Nitto is they are heavy, more suited to full size trucks.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

From what I've seen in my years in the tire business, the M/TRs will last a lot longer on the road. Ride quality is also much better than the Nittos.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I would definitely go with the trail grapplers. Heavy, but much more durable and don't have balancing issues like the mtr's. And yes stock wheels will work great with 2.5" spacers.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiRecon
From what I've seen in my years in the tire business, the M/TRs will last a lot longer on the road. Ride quality is also much better than the Nittos.
Wow, I have never heard this from anyone. You must be referring to the mud grapplers...
Old 05-06-2013, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I would definitely go with the trail grapplers. Heavy, but much more durable and don't have balancing issues like the mtr's. And yes stock wheels will work great with 2.5" spacers.
2.5" spacers or will 1.5" work?
Old 05-07-2013, 01:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he meant 1.5"
Old 05-07-2013, 03:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I would run away from the goodyears. get anything not made by them. unless you want massive sidewall blow outs as a daily occurance. I pulled my goodyears off my jeep with 300 kms on them after two blow outs. GY, is JUNK.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Wow, I have never heard this from anyone. You must be referring to the mud grapplers...
Nope, 15 years in the biz. I've seen my fair share of tires roll through the shop. Grapplers have horrible dealer ratings for issues with premature wear and M/TRs do have balancing issues. I have always seen better life and ride out of the M/TRs though.

BTW, just so we're clear, I didn't sell either brand and I wouldn't run either one myself either. I have seen hundreds if not thousands in the shop though of all sizes and I have plenty of friends that have run both.

If you want my vote for a tire, I would say look into the Yoko Geolandar MT's. They are really under-priced and I have been exceptionally happy with the ride quality, balance is spot on, tread has a good pattern, and I have already gotten exceptional life out of them with half remaining. (Didn't used to sell these either, so it's not a meaningless plug)

In the end, everyone is gonna pick a tire based on what they have heard and seen from friends or salesmen. Most people have not had the opportunity to work with or use several different brands (we all know how pricey rubber is). This tends to create a lot of brand loyalty because you never want to be wrong when dropping that much cash. I've been lucky, tried a lot of brands on a lot of rigs. Just my $.02
Old 05-07-2013, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Gents -- thanks for the replies. Leaning towards the Nitto's now.

Anyone know the weigh to the OEM BFG MT/S from the Rubicon tires? Curious as to the difference between the Rubi OE's and Nittos.

Quick Reply: Another tire question....