Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another Tire Post...

Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Tire Post...

So I am having the toughest time deciding on tires. I know I want to go with a 33x12.50 on the moabs, but I just can't decide whether I want an AT or an MT.

This is for a daily driver, 70 mile commute every weekday, but I'll be hitting trails quite a bit, most likely a couple times a week.

Is an AT really that much better on pavement than a MT? Also, is the MT really that much better off road than an AT?

I definately like the AT's that are beefier, but I also definitely need a MT that is siped.

Its driving me crazy - I've never had the chance to try them out back to back.

If it matters, I'm probably going with a Mickey Thompson ATZ for the AT, or a Cooper STT or MT MTZ for the MT.

What do you guys think? Can you talk me into the mudders?

Last edited by MrDillClinton; 01-24-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with an AT.... ProComp XTreme AT. Aggressive tread pattern, high tread depth, way better than MT's in snow and bad weather....

Just my $.02
Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Go with an AT.... ProComp XTreme AT. Aggressive tread pattern, high tread depth, way better than MT's in snow and bad weather....

Just my $.02
I'm in Arkansas...and we don't really get snow. Maybe a little here and there.

What about for the trails? Do you see THAT big of a disadvantage in the mud with an AT?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Junkie

AT's are typically quieter, have less rolling resistance which provides better MPG and behaves better on wet, icy/snow terrain. Yea, you might not get that much snow, but you will also get on average probably 5-10k less miles I'd say depending on the tire and how you drive.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:57 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDillClinton
So I am having the toughest time deciding on tires. I know I want to go with a 33x12.50 on the moabs, but I just can't decide whether I want an AT or an MT.

This is for a daily driver, 70 mile commute every weekday, but I'll be hitting trails quite a bit, most likely a couple times a week.

Is an AT really that much better on pavement than a MT? Also, is the MT really that much better off road than an AT?

I definately like the AT's that are beefier, but I also definitely need a MT that is siped.

Its driving me crazy - I've never had the chance to try them out back to back.

If it matters, I'm probably going with a Mickey Thompson ATZ for the AT, or a Cooper STT or MT MTZ for the MT.

What do you guys think? Can you talk me into the mudders?
in wet, snowy and icy slick roads, yeah, at's will perform better than mt's. in a place like moab, some will argue that the greater surface area an at has will perform better than an mt. on the rocks, mt's have an advantage as the large voids and big lugs will act like fingers grabbing on anything they can. of course, in the mud, mt's will clear themselves much better and provide traction. there are some mt's that do better than others on pavement. i prefer to run toyos because they are just so durable on the trail but, their lugs so have some sipes and have found they do well on pavement too. but, that's just me.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the Nitto dune grapplers and they are pretty much an AT, they seem pretty good so far. I drive 42 miles each way to work five days a week. I wish I would have gone a little more aggresive, but I got a good price on them. My buddy has BFG MK2 on his JK, they seem pretty aggressive but I'm surprised how quiet they are. As far as tread life. It seems like ATs and MTs last about the same, in my experience.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

Maybe I should just get a set of good AT's like Fox said, and if I feel the need to get MT's I can sell 'em and get something like the Toyo.

I'm new to Jeeps, but not to mud- and my experience has always been with dedicated mudders like superswampers or baja claws. Picking a tire that will be good for all the interstate driving AND trail riding is really tough.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MrDillClinton
Maybe I should just get a set of good AT's like Fox said, and if I feel the need to get MT's I can sell 'em and get something like the Toyo.

I'm new to Jeeps, but not to mud- and my experience has always been with dedicated mudders like superswampers or baja claws. Picking a tire that will be good for all the interstate driving AND trail riding is really tough.
Everyone has their opinions on tires, some more-so because they run that actual tire. In my case, I run the ProComp XTreme AT and it is an amazing tire for what I do, both off-road and pavement. It's got the aggressive tread like most MT's have, its great off-road, great tread-life, great MPG's....
Old 01-24-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had both the ATZ and MTZ by Mickey Thompson same size youre looking at....I was very happy with both noticed very little difference on the road/hiway but loved the look of the MTZ much more. I have since moved up in size so I run 35" Mickey Mtz in the summer and moved over to 35" Duratracs for the winter..... sold my Mickey ATZ's. If you're in a place with snow too I'd go with the ATZ's or consider the Duratracs. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 97jeeperdrummer
I would do the opposite haha, I would get MTs and if you decide they are wearing poorly or handle poorly, sell em.. I had a set of MT/R's with kevlar and put 30k on them, they still had more than 70% tread left. The new MT's just might surprise you! Just my .02
You wanna fight about it?! totally jk Just shows how many people have their own opinions on tires, haha.... There are so many factors though, mainly HOW you drive (taking turns like mario andretti or like driving miss daisy) along with a pavement princess or wheelin' it.

Quick Reply: Another Tire Post...