Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another steering floaty and loose thread

Old 01-04-2019, 11:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by rock7174
I'm not a big off road guy, so is there anything you guys would recommend to soften up my ride shocks/spring wise? Something quality, but not thousands of bucks? .
There in lies the dilemma. When it comes to lifted jeeps, you kinda get what you pay for. You could remove everything and try to re-sell it as a package and then start over, or you can try to work around what you have. Both will be frustrating unfortunately. Scrapping that whole build and moving on will cost more, but probably make you happier in the long run.

Glad it was just the stabilizer needing adjusting. Here's the thing about stabilizers.....they're really the final piece of the puzzle in keeping the system in harmony. You don't have to have one. Many people don't use one (I'm one of those people). Using gas charged units in that application is not the best. Ideally you have a SS that has generally equal resistance both extending and compressing whereas a gas charged unit is always trying to expand with significant force. The way that is counted is using 2 gas charged units facing opposite directions, and doubling the ridiculousness IMO It's been a long time since I had a factory DL mount. If you ditched the double SS set up and just put something like a simple TF 9550 VSS or even a factory SS back on, I'm pretty sure you'd have no clearance issues. It would be more simple than dealing with the DL; however, you're forming the common opinion of RC lifts as you can see.

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Why does it always seem that every time someone says, "I've got loose/floaty steering issues", it always seems to be followed by "I've got an RC lift with a drop pitman arm with the dual stabilizer setup"?.
^^This indeed seems very common.
The following users liked this post:
rock7174 (01-04-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same rough country lift and tire set up as you. My steering felt the exact same way. It was loose and the steering seemed to wander all over the place on the freeway. I replaced the balljoints with Teraflex HD ones, HD track bar, rubicon express steering stabilizer and HD tie rods. The toe was off quite a bit as well. After recently getting an alignment it now rides like a totally different Jeep and I mean in a good way. My experience w the rough country lift had been good so far. It's not stiff and actually comfortable. On the trails it's does pretty well. My Jeep is an 08 so it rode like a 10 year old Jeep all loose and stuff. Now I actually enjoy driving it.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rock7174
Update: Stabilizer is the issue. I took it off and it road pretty good. Before taking it off I measured the difference in each stabilizer to make sure that it was getting the full range of motion for left and right steering and it was quite a bit off. I never did re-adjust it after getting an alignment. Put it back on and dialed it in and it steers like it should. One thing though. The drag link hits on the right stabilizer on tight turns.
Originally Posted by resharp001
Glad it was just the stabilizer needing adjusting. Here's the thing about stabilizers.....they're really the final piece of the puzzle in keeping the system in harmony. You don't have to have one. Many people don't use one (I'm one of those people). Using gas charged units in that application is not the best. Ideally you have a SS that has generally equal resistance both extending and compressing whereas a gas charged unit is always trying to expand with significant force. The way that is counted is using 2 gas charged units facing opposite directions, and doubling the ridiculousness IMO It's been a long time since I had a factory DL mount. If you ditched the double SS set up and just put something like a simple TF 9550 VSS or even a factory SS back on, I'm pretty sure you'd have no clearance issues. It would be more simple than dealing with the DL; however, you're forming the common opinion of RC lifts as you can see.
Glad to hear that was the problem!! That is a quick, easy, and most importantly a cheap fix. Like resharp001 said about the stabilizer being the final piece of the puzzle, if he and I can run without one, I honestly don't think you need to run a Dual. I think people run duals because they look pretty sweet down there. If you got it toned in, Awesome. If it is still an issue, a factory or just a single stabilizer with equal push and pull will work great!!

Quick Reply: Another steering floaty and loose thread