Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another steering clunk thread

Old 02-28-2021, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get this! While I was removing parts, I put the socket on the pitman arm and spun it off by hand! I didn’t even need the pitman arm removal tool. The clunk/thud looseness went away.

Removed drop pitman

Came off by hand

Barely hanging in there

New vs old

New set up
Old 02-28-2021, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

My Barnes 4wd aluminum tie rod delivered today. It sounds like it won’t fit on my Jeep though. I only have 4.77 of back spacing. It requires 4.5 and 17 inch rims. My rims are greater than 17 inch. Will this work? Any experiences with this setup? When under there today I noticed they added two washers to the adjustable steering bump. Like I mentioned before, this jeep is new to me.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Sorry, can’t help with the wheel offset question since I don’t know anything about fitment of their products.

As for the pitman arm, was there a lock washer there? I’m not seeing evidence of one in the pictures you posted. If there’s not then you really should put one on.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Yes there is a lock washer. Pics are kinda out of order and random. I’m just relieved that the problem I had is resolved. Until the next thing.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rtchips
Yes there is a lock washer. Pics are kinda out of order and random. I’m just relieved that the problem I had is resolved. Until the next thing.
Nice job getting it fixed.
The following users liked this post:
rtchips (02-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Another steering clunk thread