Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another regear question...

Old 08-05-2012, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 5.13's an auto, and a supercharger and its perfect! I can also tow with this setup! Just got done towing a 1984 jeep CJ7 home at 13mpg!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think you're gonna get a whole lotta different answers here.
I have a 2010 auto with 33s. I just put 5.13s in and absolutely love it. I will go to 35s when these wear out.
I have never driven one with 4.88s, so I don't know what that is like. I upgraded from 3.73s.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Jeepwave ..... We met Sunday on the trails in Bobcaygeon why did you leave early?
Anyways I don't recall from you or reading this thread if yours is manual or auto?????
Now we have a very similar set up and I agree with the post 5.38's are overkill and IMO that is true!!!! If yours is a manual go 4.88 if it's an auto like my 09 X after doing tons of research last year I'd go 5.13's that's what I did and I'm happy with it.... When you read they're prone to breaking(smaller components) that's true as the guy stated IF you're doing heavy wheel'n. So get your gears and that stinger we talked about lol it'll look good on your jeep. Oh yes also remember after you regear...... if you play in a lot of mud and you get stuck if you can't get out after a few honest tries get winched out!!!!! Spinning in mud hard is when you'll blow up the new gears!!!!!!
Good luck.... Rob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1745945689.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	349968   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3326438058.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	349970  
Old 08-07-2012, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Hi Jeepwave ..... We met Sunday on the trails in Bobcaygeon why did you leave early?
Anyways I don't recall from you or reading this thread if yours is manual or auto?????
Now we have a very similar set up and I agree with the post 5.38's are overkill and IMO that is true!!!! If yours is a manual go 4.88 if it's an auto like my 09 X after doing tons of research last year I'd go 5.13's that's what I did and I'm happy with it.... When you read they're prone to breaking(smaller components) that's true as the guy stated IF you're doing heavy wheel'n. So get your gears and that stinger we talked about lol it'll look good on your jeep. Oh yes also remember after you regear...... if you play in a lot of mud and you get stuck if you can't get out after a few honest tries get winched out!!!!! Spinning in mud hard is when you'll blow up the new gears!!!!!!
Good luck.... Rob
Hey rob! It was awesome meeting you at trailfest!! I had to leave early as it was my moms birthday. I was really lucky to get up there in the first place because I was on the waiting list...
Anyway, I have a manual and both you and another guy at trailfest with almost the same set up went to 4.88. Both of you had Jim from Rick spyder do it too ...the weird part is when I talked to Jim he suggested 5.13 - I think he was just tired from wheeling and told me wrong haha...I think I'll be goin with 4.88 and YES I MuST get that stinger! It looks so amazing in person.

On another note, will you be going to rocktober fest?

-Christina
Old 08-07-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepwave

Hey rob! It was awesome meeting you at trailfest!! I had to leave early as it was my moms birthday. I was really lucky to get up there in the first place because I was on the waiting list...
Anyway, I have a manual and both you and another guy at trailfest with almost the same set up went to 4.88. Both of you had Jim from Rick spyder do it too ...the weird part is when I talked to Jim he suggested 5.13 - I think he was just tired from wheeling and told me wrong haha...I think I'll be goin with 4.88 and YES I MuST get that stinger! It looks so amazing in person.

On another note, will you be going to rocktober fest?

-Christina
4.88 good choice..... I think I may be going I'm hooked now lol..... Stay in touch PM me if you're going or text me..... (519)635-7622 text is better.
If you're in Facebook look me up Rob Wrangler
invite me as a friend..... Thx

Quick Reply: Another regear question...