Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another Rattle Question

Old 07-04-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Rattle Question

I have a 2010 JKU Rubi auto with a 2.5" OME HD lift, 35's, a JCR front bumper and RR rear bumper with a tire carrier. I recently picked up a rattle coming from underneath after an off road trip. I have spent a lot of time on my back under it shaking parts, checking bolts and beating on things to try and figure out what the hell is rattling to no avail. I don't see any obvious signs of wear from something being loose. It makes the noise every time I go over the smallest bump, even the seams and cracks in the asphalt, I can't tell if it's coming from the front or rear. It's not a real heavy sound like something significant banging around and I can't feel anything transferring to the steering wheel or brakes.

I have looked at everything I can think of under that damn thing and still can't figure it out, do any of you have any suggestions? I've searched the threads and tried the suggestions there. I don't want to just turn up the radio and ignore it.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:57 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Check your shock bushings top and bottom might be the problem.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 2012 did this last week ended up being that the upper sway bar link bolt was just barely loose on the pass side. But it was enough that it was allowing the sway bar to slide up and down on the bolt making a clunk sound over every little crack in the road.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdk
Check your shock bushings top and bottom might be the problem.
Those look good and there is no play in them.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt
My 2012 did this last week ended up being that the upper sway bar link bolt was just barely loose on the pass side. But it was enough that it was allowing the sway bar to slide up and down on the bolt making a clunk sound over every little crack in the road.
I've checked all of the main suspension components and can't seem to find anything with play in it that seems abnormal.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check the exhaust crossover is not pushed up onto the cross member. The whole drive train is rubber mounted and this can really rattle your brain! !!!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's not the skids or exhaust crossover. I have a Durango I drive for work and it has 85k on it and it recently started making the same noise, it sounds like crap. I noticed on the Durango that it stops if I'm on the brakes while going over a bump, can the shoes get loose in there? Maybe that's what I need to look at on the JK, I'll have to take the front wheels off and check it out.

Should there be any type of slack where the shoes sit in the caliper?
Old 07-07-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I took the front wheels off and everything is tight and looks okay, except for the groove I have on the back side of the drivers side brake rotor. The pads still look like they are in good shape but there is a groove right in the center on the back side, I'm assuming I have a rock caught in there, they don't squeel or anything when I brake.

I think the tie rod is the culprit, I know it moves but when you push it or rotate it down hard it makes that same kind of hollow tin sound, so I'm thinking that when I drive it rotates down to that position and just sits there and rattles. There is no slack in it left to right just front to back. The steering arm roatates also but it doesn't clank when rotated all the way like the tie rod. Any idea how tough they are to replace or if I should just get a needle tip and grease the crap out of the joint? I wouldn't think they would be that tough to replace but I've never done it before. Any other thoughts on this culprit?
Old 07-07-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

I also have the same lift and also had a rattle. After "much" time underneath it turned out to be the bolt that holds the drivers side bumpstop had somehow was gone. The bolt is probably sitting on a trail in Colorado. It was not until i pushed on the bumpstop did i realize it was freefloating in the spring.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davidcogo
I also have the same lift and also had a rattle. After "much" time underneath it turned out to be the bolt that holds the drivers side bumpstop had somehow was gone. The bolt is probably sitting on a trail in Colorado. It was not until i pushed on the bumpstop did i realize it was freefloating in the spring.
When I took my wheels off I checked those and they seem to be sitting in there pretty solid, it's been a while since I did the install but I think they are Teraflex bumpstops and I thought they just pressed in, I don't remember having to bolt them in. I know when I felt the top of them I didnt feel a bolt or nut on either side?

Quick Reply: Another Rattle Question