Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: AEV or RK Build
AEV
66.67%
RK Build
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Another Opinion needed thread

Old 02-01-2015, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Another Opinion needed thread

*Note: I have added the MC 2.5 True dual rate 2.5" lift to this thread but for some reason cannot modify the poll to add it.

The Target:
2013 JKU
Mostly sees pavement, mild to fairly moderate off road, no rock climbing.
Currently running TF 1.5" level kit, bushwacker flats, 35" duratracs.

The Mission:
Implement a quality, budget conscious 2.5" lift to replace current level kit.

The Purpose:
To enhance driveability, handling performance, and reliability on and off road over stock suspension. Provide more clearance in wheel wheels and around pinch seam, allow for more suspension travel off road and improved stance on road.

The Options:

AEV Dual Sport XT 2.5
AEV Geo Correction Brackets
RK Adjustable Front Lower Control Arm

OR

RK 2.5 Stock Mod System
Bilstien 5100's (or Rancho Adjustable RS9000XL)
AEV Geo Correction Brackets
New Bump Stops or Extensions
*The RK build would be roughly $300 less than the AEV with Bilstien 5100's.

OR

Metal Cloak True Dual Rate 2.5" System (Product Code: 7115)
Bilstien 5100's (or Rancho Adjustable RS9000XL)
*The MC system will come in roughly the same cost as the AEV with Bilstien 5100's

Opinion Required:
Am I gaining or losing anything aside from dollars with either of these options on or off road based on its intended purpose?
Any items in either build that I may need or missed?
I'm really liking the MC, seems to be more of a complete kit of the 3 and I haven't found a negative review yet.

Last edited by GiggityGiggity; 02-03-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You are just throwing money away. You are not really going to gain anything on your list.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have your heart set on a coil lift, either of the two mentioned are good.
I'm just not a fan of RK CA's because of their longer length's
Old 02-03-2015, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone running the MC 2.5" version of the true dual rate lift? Product Code: 7115
How much lift did you net on a JKU, anything you would change/add about this kit?

I also looked at EVO but unless I couldn't find it, they're shortest kit is 3.5" of advertised lift, I don't need to get into driveshafts and such so I'm looking to stay around 2.5" of lift.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:01 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by GiggityGiggity
Anyone running the MC 2.5" version of the true dual rate lift? Product Code: 7115
How much lift did you net on a JKU, anything you would change/add about this kit?

I also looked at EVO but unless I couldn't find it, they're shortest kit is 3.5" of advertised lift, I don't need to get into driveshafts and such so I'm looking to stay around 2.5" of lift.
Have you tried a search on 2.5 budget boost lots of info
Old 02-03-2015, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you choose MC - I would suggest going with OME shocks over the 5100. MC recommends them as the valving is correct for their spring for the best ride and performance.

I had leveling kits on both my Jk's before going with coil lifts. Coils are the way to go in my opinion if you plan on adding bumpers, winch, armor, etc. I personally did not like the soft, mushy stock springs. Too much body roll and the jeep always felt like it had a ton of understeer. Felt very unsettled in the bumps too.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by familytime
Have you tried a search on 2.5 budget boost lots of info
Not looking for a budget boost, looking for budget conscious lift. I know there are kits out there for fractions of the costs of these I have listed but they are much less complete. ie shocke extensions, pucks or springs, links. These kits would ride similar to stock and I dont like the way the sahara suspension is currently running "stock". Very squirmy and mushy imo.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sea bass
If you choose MC - I would suggest going with OME shocks over the 5100. MC recommends them as the valving is correct for their spring for the best ride and performance.

I had leveling kits on both my Jk's before going with coil lifts. Coils are the way to go in my opinion if you plan on adding bumpers, winch, armor, etc. I personally did not like the soft, mushy stock springs. Too much body roll and the jeep always felt like it had a ton of understeer. Felt very unsettled in the bumps too.
THIS 100%

I hate how my Jeep rides over bumps, should be soaking up those ruts not bouncing around over them.

Good info on the OME shocks, I was actually considering going with the Rs9000XL adjustables if I went outside AEV for the reason you mentioned. With the rancho I can dial in the valving to suit my needs when I want and I hear they ride better and install easier than the 5100s.

Quick Reply: Another Opinion needed thread