Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another offset question... ugg...

Old 11-24-2013, 02:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Another offset question... ugg...

I am looking for some wheels. I have a silver 2008 Sahara Unlimited with the 18"s. Looking for tires brings me to my hatred for 18's. Just for the winter I am getting some CHEAP used tires from a friend that has a tire shop. He gets gas well truck tires all the time that have 40-50% tread left and I can get them for like $50 for a set. BUT, they are mostly 17's. 18"s seem to be an odd size. I am looking at some Rock Star wheels, maybe some Tuff T-01's. But I have read post after post and researched for some time and just don't know what offset/backspace to get. I know there are millions of posts on this, but I can't pull the trigger until I know for sure. Can anyone tell me what numbers to look for so my tires are flush with the flares? Not sticking out, just nice and flush.... Any help would be sweet. Thanks in advance...

PS. I am somewhat of a "newb" to the JK. So be gentle please. LOL
Old 11-24-2013, 02:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Start with the FAQ's, stickied right to the top of this modified area.

You will find that the backspace on stock rims is right at 6.25". As that number goes down, the rim/tire moves further out of the wheel well. So a rim with a 5.0 backspace will be pushed out 1.25" further than stock. (assuming the same rim width and tire size). For a typical 35x12.50 tire, a 4.50 backspace is the usual recommendation, though many people are fine with higher backspace.

If the rim lists offset only, the first post in this thread will give you the formula to convert offset to backspace.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...relate-136663/
Old 11-24-2013, 04:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you decide what wheels you want to run, go with 17's instead of 18's. They are a lot cheaper and more choices. Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gman*2007
When you decide what wheels you want to run, go with 17's instead of 18's. They are a lot cheaper and more choices. Welcome to the forum.
Yes, I didn't make that very clear in my post. But that is the plan. 18's are odd and I will be using 17's for sure.

Quick Reply: Another offset question... ugg...