Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another Newbe???

Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Newbe???

Okay guys, I've been learking around reading alot of posts on tires, suspension, levling kits and even lift kits. ....so..Here we go

First off what I have- 2008 JK wrangler X, plan and stock with 17" stock wheels
I'm looking at the TeraFlex JK Leveling Kit http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-wrangler-leveling-kit.html# just to even my JK out and to give it a little lift. I don't plan on going off roading but love the look that it gives with a little extra lift and bigger tires. I know from reading on this forum that with bigger tires and keeping the stock 17" that I will need spacers so I'm looking at Spidertrax 1.5" Wheel Spacer
www.quadratec.com/products/92807_005.htm......

So with a TeraFlex JK Leveling Kit and Spidertrax 1.5" Wheel Spacer Kit comes tires....

I'm looking at 33 just to fill up the wheel well but also be ready just in case I decide to go off road ...nothing to crazy. ...

So guys, What size do you guys recommend to achieve this goal? 275/70/17?? 285/75/17/? Any help would defaintly help me out...Thanks again, Newbe..
Old 07-01-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

285/70/17, 33's would look good with a leveling kit, BUT you could get a 2.5" BB and get some 35's
Old 07-01-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dillUSMC
285/70/17, 33's would look good with a leveling kit, BUT you could get a 2.5" BB and get some 35's
Sounds good to me... What kind of tires would I want to go with? I do alot of highway driving but don't mind a little noise that comes with bigger tires... Also, any pics of current set ups and size would help...thanks again
Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tires are always a compromise. You have to weigh out what you need vs. what you want. Mud tires look great on Jeeps, but a lot of people don't do enough offroading to justify them. My JK is a daily driver and rarely goes offroad so that is why I chose an all terrian tire.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

I upgraded to BFG MT KM2s early on, and they are great tires; but if they had been available at the time, I would have gone for the Goodyear Duratracs in a minute...I think those are more street friendly, less noisy, still do well off road, and look great, too... my $.02.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks like you've got the right plan. Just have to pick a tire that suits your needs.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by glwood6
I upgraded to BFG MT KM2s early on, and they are great tires; but if they had been available at the time, I would have gone for the Goodyear Duratracs in a minute...I think those are more street friendly, less noisy, still do well off road, and look great, too... my $.02.
Nice!. any worring about the steerig or gears....like I said, i read up on some threads and just wondering....thanks guys
Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Do some browsing/searching to find out the 'actual' heights of the various tires, do not just go by the sidewall or mfg's spec.

Ex.
295/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, mfg says 33.27", under the front end they were 32".
315/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns, mfg 34.6", but they are 33.5".
(these have both turned out to be very good tires, by the way).

Other sizes/styles/brands/etc will have different actual heights, some will even be a lot closer to the stated height.

Also, if you plan on chopping or going to flats, you could easily fit 35's.

Quick Reply: Another Newbe???