Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another "lift" question

Old 02-21-2021, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "lift" question

More like a suspension question than a true LIFT question... What I'm wanting to do is simply level my jeep- but I don't want to use spacers. I'd like to accomplish the leveling with new springs. I know, it's weird. I've sent an email to OME, but that was friday- so I'm still waiting on a response from them... I tried looking for any info online- either my google fu is terrible, or there's just not a lot written about this idea, since most would either use spacers or lift the jeep. The reason I ask is: through my searches, I've notice that many people see MORE lift than what the spring advertises. Obviously, I don't want the nose of my jeep in the air. Hence some guidance on which springs to go with would be nice. There will be a new bumper in the future, a PS Brawler Mid width brawler bars. Not sure on the weight of that bumper. I figured OME springs would be the way to go, since they seem to have the most accurate description, and have many spring rate/height choices... Any input would help, TIA!!

Old 02-21-2021, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 410 Likes on 385 Posts

Welcome to JKF.. You could check with Teraflex, they offered a spring kit that was 2" front 1" rear. Springs are all that is in that kit...
Old 02-21-2021, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Huh! How did I miss that?! I'll check it out! Thanks!
Old 02-21-2021, 07:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

So you're not really trying to lift it more than just level out the current situation? I guess I'm not sure why your so opposed to a spacer, especially for leveling purposes. There's nothing wrong with them IMO.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

It makes not sense to me why someone would want to level the jeep out anyway. But trying to do it with coils is going to be hit and miss depending on the weight of the accessories on the jeep. And for $20 its not like you are out a lot of money if you do't like it. If you do level it out adjust your headlights so you are not that dick that is blinding everyone at night.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
So you're not really trying to lift it more than just level out the current situation? I guess I'm not sure why your so opposed to a spacer, especially for leveling purposes. There's nothing wrong with them IMO.
Just a personal preference is all.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
It makes not sense to me why someone would want to level the jeep out anyway. But trying to do it with coils is going to be hit and miss depending on the weight of the accessories on the jeep. And for $20 its not like you are out a lot of money if you do't like it. If you do level it out adjust your headlights so you are not that dick that is blinding everyone at night.
I don't like the factory rake *shrug* I don't NEED to lift the vehicle too tall, and I'll never put larger than 33" tires on it. Adjusting, or at least checking the headlights is kind of common sense regardless of how tall you're lifting it.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Yemx
Adjusting, or at least checking the headlights is kind of common sense
Yeah, you would think...

As mentioned above, there are some options for 1.5" coils. And some others that are marketed as 2"-2.5" for 2doors that 'could' be 1.5" on a 4door? But as noted, and as you yourself mentioned, it's a guessing game. Just because you happen to find some anonymous person who posts that his brand-X coils gave him exactly 1.5", certainly doesn't mean that you will get that height. Be prepared to add those rear spacers if you aren't happy with the results.

Regarding OME: the 'Light duty' coils might be an option, but from previous posts, the gains I've seen reported were in the 2.5" range, not the 1.5". From personal experience, even though their HD coils were marketed as "2 inch", they had me well over 3" with a full-width steel bumper and 9500lb winch with steel cable, and gave a very very stiff ride. (want to say it was closer to 4", but that was like 13 years ago and I don't really recall.)
Old 02-21-2021, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Very good points- thanks for all the input!!
Old 02-27-2021, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

I see a lot of posts where people are happy they got 3" or more from a 2" kit. I think for some of us it is not a win since once you go over 2" you really need to be replacing a lot of other parts or see considerable increase in wear/damage due to >2" lift.

Quick Reply: Another "lift" question