Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another God forsaken lift question.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another God forsaken lift question.

I am really perplexed as to what lift to buy for my jeep. There are so many out there and they all seem a little different in many ways.

First off, My 2012 Rubi is a daily driver and I love the way it handles and goes. I don't want to ruin that. I also don't need (or can afford) a Sema show vehicle or any other ungodly show case rig you see on vendor sites. Those are all cool, but not practical for me.
However, in the attached pictures you can plainly see I need to do something. The last 2 times I went 4 wheeling it took 2 winches to get this thing unstuck. A quick answer would be a 5' lift and 37's, but that is beyond the scope of my daily driver (80mile commute each day.)

I am not sure if just a budget boost will do me, or if I need some sort of "long arm" kit or what. I am looking at this kit Full Traction JK 2-Door Wrangler 4 inch Ultimate Suspension System (FTS7145)
I like the fact that it does not require a drive line mod which I really dont want to do, but do I need to spend that much? I know I need at least 35" tires, but which lift?
Cost is a factor too, although I don't like to trip over a nickel to pick up a penny either.

thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Walker_Valley.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	344496   Click image for larger version

Name:	109.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	344497  

Last edited by flienlow; 07-23-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

You are going to get a million answers from A to Z, but for me the Old Man Emu heavy duty spring lift has worked well. It rides as well if not better than stock and seems to work pretty good on the trails for something that's not a long arm lift. With springs, shocks, front and rear trackbars and adjustable end links it ran about $1200. It rode a little stiff, but not bad, until I got front and rear aftermarket bumpers, a winch, etc, etc. Good luck picking though.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by flienlow
I am really perplexed as to what lift to buy for my jeep. There are so many out there and they all seem a little different in many ways.

First off, My 2012 Rubi is a daily driver and I love the way it handles and goes. I don't want to ruin that. I also don't need (or can afford) a Sema show vehicle or any other ungodly show case rig you see on vendor sites. Those are all cool, but not practical for me.
However, in the attached pictures you can plainly see I need to do something. The last 2 times I went 4 wheeling it took 2 winches to get this thing unstuck. A quick answer would be a 5' lift and 37's, but that is beyond the scope of my daily driver (80mile commute each day.)

I am not sure if just a budget boost will do me, or if I need some sort of "long arm" kit or what. I am looking at this kit Full Traction JK 2-Door Wrangler 4 inch Ultimate Suspension System (FTS7145)
I like the fact that it does not require a drive line mod which I really dont want to do, but do I need to spend that much? I know I need at least 35" tires, but which lift?
Cost is a factor too, although I don't like to trip over a nickel to pick up a penny either.

thoughts?

4" lift on a 2012 that doesn't require a drive line mod? boot will tear and you'll be replacing that shaft in no time! Especially if you're wheeling it so definitely plan the extra $500 for a new shaft.

Anybody else?
Old 07-23-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Friday2322
You are going to get a million answers from A to Z
hahaha... Yup!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 more for Old Man Emu HD.

Installed mine in 2007 and still running strong, no leaks in the shocks, springs haven't sagged, handles great on the highway, no problems.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Seriously....this question can't be answered for you. A better question would be " what parts do I need to do a 2.5" lift properly?"
Everyone's got an opinion, and they all have merit to the person posting. Use the search function, spend several hours reading what's already out there and pick the information that resonates with you the most.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you like your stock ride do the teraflex 2.5 inch coil lift or 3 inch and go shock adapters and keep your rubi shocks or for the 3 inch get some bilsteins. I would think that would suffice ur DD weekend warrior use for the Jeep. At least that's what i did. I drive 60 miles round trip 4-5 times a week and i got the 2.5 inch coil lift to fit my 35 inch Toyos
Old 07-23-2012, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did 33's and TF 2.5 coil lift. Its a bit better as a DD that way, for all the reasons you can read about regarding regearing, wear etc, and I think the ride is better than stock with the TF coils. You can see my threads for pics.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

For a daily driver, get a good quality 2.5 lift ( TF, RK, OME, etc...) some 5100 Bilsteins, and some good quality M/T's and have fun.

Edit: And a winch!

Last edited by Topkicker1; 07-23-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Topkicker1
For a daily driver, get a good quality 2.5 lift ( TF, RK, OME, etc...) some 5100 Bilsteins, and some good quality M/T's and have fun.

Edit: And a winch!
What he said!
OME with Bilstein 5100. Put on don't look back
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-983378760.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	344611  

Quick Reply: Another God forsaken lift question.