Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another front end sag question...

Old 11-09-2010, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another front end sag question...

I know front end sag after a bumper install is common. I did quite a few searches and tried to learn as much as possible. I really don't have the $ at this point to by a quality lift. My question is can I just pull out my front coils and change them out with this?

Old Man Emu JK 4-Door Front Extra Heavy Coil Spring
Northridge 4x4 ($165)

I have 2" spacers all around at this point so if there was still some sag could I put those on top of these coils?

Would this work or do I need to rethink... thanks for any help!

BTW: It's a RR XHD bumper with storage ends and soon to be a Smittybilt XRC 8 with synthetic line.

Last edited by MSmitty; 11-09-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MSmitty
My question is can I just pull out my front coils and change them out with this?

Northridge 4x4 ($165)
Yes. Changing out the coil springs is pretty easy to do. Make sure to get a coil spring compress tool, you can buy one or rent it.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

You won't have any sag after adding those coils. They likely will give you 3" or more of lift. You don't even need the extra heavy version. You may have to leave the rear spacers in to keep it level. Talk to David at Northridge.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

even easier without a spring compressor tool
Old 11-09-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MSmitty
My question is can I just pull out my front coils and change them out with this?

Northridge 4x4 ($165)

I have 2" spacers all around at this point so if there was still some sag could I put those on top of these coils?

Would this work or do I need to rethink... thanks for any help!

BTW: It's a RR XHD bumper with storage ends and soon to be a Smittybilt XRC 8 with synthetic line.
I think the Extra Heavy Coil Spring - is really beefy too much!! I would seriously consider just the HD Coil Spring. I have had no issues with sag with an my LoD middy and Warn XD9000i up front!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dooz
even easier without a spring compressor tool
x2- easier without the tool. just disco your sway bar links, then shocks (unbolt the bottoms). lift up under the frame rails just behind the CA's and then take off the tires. your axle will drop and leave you plenty of room to stick the coils in. i swapped 4 dr coils into my front end in less than an hour start to finish.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls
x2- easier without the tool. just disco your sway bar links, then shocks (unbolt the bottoms). lift up under the frame rails just behind the CA's and then take off the tires. your axle will drop and leave you plenty of room to stick the coils in. i swapped 4 dr coils into my front end in less than an hour start to finish.
With 4 inches of lift would you need a compressor to add 3/4 inch puck to the front?
Will it just go in without buying a compressor?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:57 AM
JK Junkie

if not then get a small jack under one side of the axle and jack one side of the axle up. make sure the frame rails are still on the stands, sway bar disco'd etc. that should (and has in my experience) make the opposite side of the axle swing a little further down. just watch your brake lines, esp/abs lines. if you do resort to buying a spring compressor then make sure you get the one that goes on the outside of the coil spring. the ones that sinch down from the inside suck.

Quick Reply: Another front end sag question...