Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another Exhaust Spacer Issue - 2014 JKU Rubi

Old 07-18-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Exhaust Spacer Issue - 2014 JKU Rubi

Let me start by stating that I have a 2014 JKU Rubicon with a Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex Lift installed. To avoid messing up the front driveshaft, I also got the exhaust spacers as recommended with lifting a JK. I got the Rugged Ridge exhaust spacers.

The spaces were installed a few days ago and shortly after I started to develop a rattle, typically at take off from a stop but not always. Seemed that the exhaust was now rattling when under a load and the engine was shifting in the motor mounts. Had it looked at again and adjusted the next day to provide more clearance but it is already doing it again...

Is this typical for these exhaust spacers to create a rattle situation? It might give more clearance at the front driveshaft but now my brand new JKUR (with less than 5K miles) sounds like crap with this exhaust rattle. I surely cannot be the only one that has had this problem...

Has anyone else experienced this? What are my other alternatives? What has everyone else done?

Thanks for the help...
Old 07-18-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

I just had mine lifted Monday and no rattle yet not sure what kind of exhaust spacer It was on the paper with all the other parts .
Old 07-18-2014, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm guessing by your post that u didn't install it yourself. Why don't you just crawl under it and take a look to see if you see anything loose or rattling?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I brought mine to a muffler shop (never learned to weld) and had them just move the crossover pipe back a couple of inches. That is what was suggested to me by Invest2m4 and I am very happy with the results. Cost me $100 but I hear some shops charge around $80, depending on where you live.

Last edited by 14Sport; 07-18-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

You are correct that I didn't install it myself but I did crawl under and take a look. When I had it looked at again we could see that it only had about 1/16" clearance or so. He tried to adjust to provide additional clearance (due to the ball and socket style connector) and said it was close to 1/4-1/2" after adjusting. Now it started the very next day again.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have aftermarket skids? The spacers push the exhaust down and many of the trans skids end up contacting the exhaust crossover. I think the spacers are ridiculous. For what you paid for the spacers and install, you could get a shop to properly weld in some pipe and do it right (and then the exhaust crossover won't move down and you can run any skid you want).
Old 07-18-2014, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Not aftermarket - just what came on the Rubicon.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Shim the skid with a washer.
Besides it won't be long until you add skid plates, long arms, etc, etc, etc.

Originally Posted by Scottkel
Not aftermarket - just what came on the Rubicon.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbird29
Shim the skid with a washer. Besides it won't be long until you add skid plates, long arms, etc, etc, etc.
For anyone who actually uses their skids, shimming is stupid and terrible advice.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
For anyone who actually uses their skids, shimming is stupid and terrible advice.
Dude, I really respect your advice as you have a ton of knowledge. And I believe you will end up being a leading contributor on this forum because of that. But you might want to think about how you present yourself. It would have been better to point out why shimming wasn't a good idea rather than insinuate the poster was stupid.

Quick Reply: Another Exhaust Spacer Issue - 2014 JKU Rubi