Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another broken axle...

Old 02-27-2008, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benmar2000
That sucks.. I know that when my warranty runs out and I bust an axle like that.. Upgrade to some Superior Axles time..
Yeah, ordered her Superior chromolys with Super Joints, and the new Solid hub conversion kit yesterday. Still gonna take it to the dealer. DC should be responsible for such a crappy part. I thought their engineers tested this stuff on the Rubicon before it went into production? The only rocky trail these axles will survive are rocks at bottom of my fish tank.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

Is there a write up how to replace a axle on our JKs. This is something I would like to learn. Cuz if this happens to me im going with something stronger and do it myself.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

A quick search shows Quadratec has these with full circle clips:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52302_901.htm

Jeff
Old 03-17-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

I know a few of you had broken axles ....

well our u joint bearing wen out yesterday ... (With a hardcore recovery .. burried In sticky/gluey mud to the body (covered 35s and 4.5" suspension) )

On the way being pulled up a hill ... we all heard a loud .... POP .... turns out after getting up the hill (about a 90* climb almost) with a winch, three tow straps and 3 hours later) ... its the ring gear in my front diff.

So no 4wd. The aligment is no longer ....

so least to say my whole front end is toast ...

my husband cleaned the entire under carriage at the car was last night .... its makinga clicking/grining sound on my drivers wheel.

Did your guys Jeeps make any sounds with the joint before it gave way completely. I can still drive. I don't dare go faster than 40 MPH with it.

Its going to sit til' tommmorow or all week. My husband wants to try to get the dealershipo to cover it. Hes even going as far as putting my stock 31" tires back on it! Ahhhh ...

So what do ya'll think? I just say higher gears it needed it .. and lockers.

It was my husbands driving also that did this not mine! Pisses me off ... at least it wasn't water huh????
Old 03-17-2008, 09:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkgirl08
...well our u joint bearing wen out yesterday ... ( ... we all heard a loud .... POP .... turns out after getting up the hill (about a 90* climb almost) with a winch, three tow straps and 3 hours later) ... its the ring gear in my front diff.
So was it the u-joint or the ring and pinion? If you popped the u-joint first, I don't see how you could have possibly done the r&p after that. Have you had the dif cover off to see that it is the r&p? Got any pics?
Old 03-17-2008, 01:54 PM
JK Freak

no the u- joint happened on the way home .... my esp lights flashed on and i heard a clanking sound immediately after that .... The u joint happened about 2 hours after getting the jk pulled out.

here are some pictures of the u joint. Its worse than it was when we checked driving home halfway last night. Its just free ballling now .... its about to pop out and give out .. thats why I don't think its driveable now. We were abut 2 hours from home last night which is why I had to drive it.

i didn't clarify this morning .. the u joint is still in one piece .... the bearings are shot ... new to vehicles/jeeps slowly learning .. thats what my husband said .. is that right .. the axle is no good if the u/joint goes out???
Old 03-17-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Freak

as for the ring gear ... no we havent taken the cover off yet .. just as that IF IT IS still covered under the warranty I don't want to mess with it in case they say it was tinkered with ... and i screwed myself. I can wait .....

just not fun ... sucks not having a rig to drive.

Why we thought it was the R & P gear .... the driveshaft was spinning and moving just like it would in 2H ... and I was in reverese in 4L moving .... thats the only thing we have to go off of .. and the loud cracking/popping/snapping sound when it was being winched out.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

your driveshaft can spin if its a broken axle shaft also. You most likely damaged to u joint while wheeling and the cap stayed until you increased the speed for a good time ( driving home ) and through the cap off. I would not drive it at all even to the dealer tow it or have it towed.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Junkie

Hmm. You may have more than 1 problem. I would have the dealer look at it and tell you if it will be covered by warranty. If not, fix it yourself. The axle is not bad just because the u-joint caps got ejected. By the looks of yours, all you probably need is a new u-joint. The poping and cracking may very well be the R & P, an axle shaft, or could be just the spider gears and pinion shaft. Whichever it is, I wouldn;t let the dealer touch it unless it's under warranty. Since you have an "X", this also may be a good time to upgrade to a Mopar Performance D44 for about $1400. If not, you can probably find some good used parts for that D30. I have already sold my carrier, gears, and axle shafts from mine or I would help you out. Good luck.

Last edited by Renegade; 03-17-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

If it aint broke dont fix it; if it does break... UPGRADE. CRO-MO Shafts!

If the dealer goes for the fix then take it, otherwise Superior Axle and gear is a phone call away.

Quick Reply: Another broken axle...