Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another broken axle...

Old 02-20-2008, 01:09 PM
aas
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're still waiting on DC for the axle. I've already exceeded the "time in shop" requirement for state lemon law. I don't want the hassle of all that mess if I can avoid it and be satisfied. Plus the 2008's don't have 4.10 gears
Old 02-20-2008, 01:23 PM
aas
JK Enthusiast

They said the axle's toast. I'd be fine w/ an aftermarket part but Jeep won't go for it. I'd even consider just buying upgraded axles but the caster's still messed up from the last axle job that was done on that Jeep and I want to get that taken care of before I start installing aftermarket parts.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Now the other one went today!

SO did some off raod on the way back from work today, heard the front drivers side go click when in 4-lo. Came home safely and sure enough the u-joint cap one is gone.

Question: is it safe to drive this way in 2-wd? U-joint still there but missing a cap.

Question: can I just put a new u-joint in or will I need the entire assembly?

Thanks,
Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aas
They said the axle's toast. I'd be fine w/ an aftermarket part but Jeep won't go for it. I'd even consider just buying upgraded axles but the caster's still messed up from the last axle job that was done on that Jeep and I want to get that taken care of before I start installing aftermarket parts.
Why go with Superior and solve the problem when you can go with Crappler Corp axles. I wonder if those axles were forged in india or china?
Old 02-21-2008, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GatorGreenJK
SO did some off raod on the way back from work today, heard the front drivers side go click when in 4-lo. Came home safely and sure enough the u-joint cap one is gone.

Question: is it safe to drive this way in 2-wd? U-joint still there but missing a cap.

Question: can I just put a new u-joint in or will I need the entire assembly?

Thanks,
As long as nothing else got damaged, you're fine with a new u-joint. I would try to make them warranty it. With more and more of these popping up, Jeep is going to have to come up with a solution from the factory.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:32 AM
aas
JK Enthusiast

I picked it up on Saturday from Hoover Jeep in Charleston, SC.

I could not be more satisfied with the service that I received from Hoover's service department in how they handled things. I was 350 miles from home at about the close of the business day when this happened. It's clearly apparent to me that Hoover's service department meant to do what was right and not just what was required.

There are two aspects of customer satisfaction when product failures occur: there's the aspect of the failure, and there's the aspect of how it's handled by the manufacturer. As of right now, I may be more satisfied with my Jeep, even after the axle failed, because of how the situation was handled by Hoover+Chrysler.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PhirstJeep
Here's my recently blown Dana 30 front axle shaft

running 33"s on 17s
Oh great.. I'm about to start running 33's on 17's in the next month or so.

You get this wheeling or driving around?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by aas
I picked it up on Saturday from Hoover Jeep in Charleston, SC.

I could not be more satisfied with the service that I received from Hoover's service department in how they handled things. I was 350 miles from home at about the close of the business day when this happened. It's clearly apparent to me that Hoover's service department meant to do what was right and not just what was required.

There are two aspects of customer satisfaction when product failures occur: there's the aspect of the failure, and there's the aspect of how it's handled by the manufacturer. As of right now, I may be more satisfied with my Jeep, even after the axle failed, because of how the situation was handled by Hoover+Chrysler.
I bought my first Jeep in 2004 from Hoover in Charleston. I was stationed there a few years ago.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 AM
JK Super Freak

man, i am glad to hear that they fixed you up trouble free.. it's amazing how a service dept can make a person so happy or so upset with a company.. glad it happened to you where it did
Old 02-27-2008, 03:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by benmar2000
Wondering if there is a pattern starting to appear here..
I would say yes..............

Wife's JK. Second time out. She wasn't being aggresive or doing a very hard trail.

Quick Reply: Another broken axle...