Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another alignment question

Old 04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by danh63

Thanks! I suppose I need to get started. Was your caster way off before the lower control arms? Also, what is a good brand to get?
I had 4.1 caster before I installed the TF arms and 5.9 on the left and 6.0 on the right after. I have the arms that are in the link Jk-ford provided.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember u don't want to add to much caster(make the front lower arms lower), or u will get a driveshaft vibe.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

6 seemed to be the sweet spot on mine. We had it a little higher originally because we installed the arms to the recommended length but it did have a slight vibration but after shortening the arms slightly everything smoothed out.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was the same as kssting. Same lift and tires. I did the lift and checked my caster and it was I want to say around 2.8-3.2 range. Rig handled pretty well just like that. Was a little flighty but tolerable. Added the front lowers and got my caster up to a little over 5. That was the sweet spot for me. You can drive it with one finger on the wheel now. If you do them yourself start at 23" eye to eye and adjust 1/8" until you get it dialed in right. But like RinkishJK said you don't want to have to high of a caster or your pinion angle will be off and you don't want that but at 5-6 degrees you should have no problems.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Are you guys measuring your pinion angle as well or just worrying about dialing in the caster.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
I was the same as kssting. Same lift and tires. I did the lift and checked my caster and it was I want to say around 2.8-3.2 range. Rig handled pretty well just like that. Was a little flighty but tolerable. Added the front lowers and got my caster up to a little over 5. That was the sweet spot for me. You can drive it with one finger on the wheel now. If you do them yourself start at 23" eye to eye and adjust 1/8" until you get it dialed in right. But like RinkishJK said you don't want to have to high of a caster or your pinion angle will be off and you don't want that but at 5-6 degrees you should have no problems.
I see you have a 4 dr. Would starting at 23" still be the same for a 2dr or doesn't that matter? Wasn't sure if everything was the same between the 2
Old 04-18-2013, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

Yes I would. The factory front lower control arms measure 22-5/8″ in length eye to eye. So starting at 23″ long which is 3/8″ longer than stock gave me a good starting point then just adjusted from there. It's easy, you'll have no problems.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Just follow this how to. I know it may seem overwhelming and difficult until you do it the first time but its really simple. But if you don't feel comfortable and confident take it to the professionals. However not maybe the ones you've mentioned though so they sound a little umm dumb.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment
Awesome link, thanks for sharing! You get a star by your name for the day!

Brian
Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes I would. The factory front lower control arms measure 22-5/8″ in length eye to eye. So starting at 23″ long which is 3/8″ longer than stock gave me a good starting point then just adjusted from there. It's easy, you'll have no problems.
Thanks again for all your help! Going to order the control arms here in a few

Quick Reply: Another alignment question