Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another...37's on a 08 Sahara questions

Old 08-25-2009, 08:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKSTONE
By the way how was that trip to my neck of the woods Superlift Park?

We didn't get there until about 1:45 Saturday and didn't see you guys out on the trials. You might have been done by then
I was out there Friday and Sat. The group kinda got split up Sat morning, late comers and all. I left Sat around 1:00, to go to town and let the wife and daughter shop and see the sites.I think the rest of the group had lunch then. Met up with the rest of the group around 7pm at their cabin close to the park for a BBQ. It's a nice place, but it's one long boring ass drive up there from here with speed traps through little towns.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with a D30 and 37s, particularly if you regear to 5.13 or greater is that the ring and pinion are small to begin with and the higher gearing means thinner teeth. Thinner teeth mean weaker teeth. Broken teeth means expensive to fix. If you want 37s go ahead with the D30 but expect that it will probably break, eventually. Just plan ahead on replacing it some point in the future and if by some miracle you don't have to then count yourself lucky.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I was out there Friday and Sat. The group kinda got split up Sat morning, late comers and all. I left Sat around 1:00, to go to town and let the wife and daughter shop and see the sites.I think the rest of the group had lunch then. Met up with the rest of the group around 7pm at their cabin close to the park for a BBQ. It's a nice place, but it's one long boring ass drive up there from here with speed traps through little towns.

Yeah I figured. I saw a few out of state JK's at the campgrounds and figured you guys were done for the day. Yep definitely a boring drive. My bro lives in Shreveport, LA
Old 08-26-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Super Freak

If you do't break a D30 wheeling 37's then you aren't wheeling in my opinion.
Wait, there's a magic "breaking shit" threshold that deems what is and isn't wheeling now? This is why I'm not a member of some wheeling clubs. I go to have fun. I don't go to break things.
Is there a difficulty level too? "If you can do it in a stock X it isn't wheeling" "If you don't need a snorkel it isn't wheeling"
Some people want the look, others want the function.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get tired of that inane BS too Doctor, but the honest truth is, the guy should budget for gears BEFORE, not sometime after, he fits 35s or 37s. Too many people seem to mod out of logical order around here.

And since I'm carping... 35s on a D30 leave precious room for error IMO. 37s are flat crazy.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

If he has 3.73s then he might be ok with mild stuff and 35s. I've got 4.10s and haven't needed to regear, and won't unless I get bigger tires. If I go bigger though, I will get a front 44 just so the ring and pinion aren't tiny.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porters
The problem with a D30 and 37s, particularly if you regear to 5.13 or greater is that the ring and pinion are small to begin with and the higher gearing means thinner teeth. Thinner teeth mean weaker teeth. Broken teeth means expensive to fix. If you want 37s go ahead with the D30 but expect that it will probably break, eventually. Just plan ahead on replacing it some point in the future and if by some miracle you don't have to then count yourself lucky.
This statement I totally agree with. Me personally, with my current work schedule, I'll be lucky to be able to wheel once a month. So, doing some reinforcements to the D30 will suffice for now. I just know that 4" lift and 37" tires is the way I want to go with my jeep. I'm not gonna short cut myself when deciding on these 2 major factors of how i modify my jeep. Yes, I will have to be extra careful, but I also plan to replace the D30 down the road anyways. If it were a perfect world, I would love to be able to build my axles to suit my jeep from the very get go, but When rent, bills, helping my girlfriend through college, ect.. I don't wanna short cut myself on suspension and wheels/tires now, just because my front axle may or may not hold. If it breaks. I'll fix it.. Kind of what jeepin and 4wheelin is all about. Wish I could be a little more cautious and just throw in a set of built D44's or 60's, but that's not gonna happen.. lol

-Chad-
Old 08-26-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Wait, there's a magic "breaking shit" threshold that deems what is and isn't wheeling now? This is why I'm not a member of some wheeling clubs. I go to have fun. I don't go to break things.
Is there a difficulty level too? "If you can do it in a stock X it isn't wheeling" "If you don't need a snorkel it isn't wheeling"
Some people want the look, others want the function.

The reason you can't understand it is that you have ZERO experience and don't know what the hell you are talking about like most newbs on here. Like Omaha said 37's on a D30 are crazy!

Porters nailed it with this statement "The problem with a D30 and 37s, particularly if you regear to 5.13 or greater is that the ring and pinion are small to begin with and the higher gearing means thinner teeth. Thinner teeth mean weaker teeth. Broken teeth means expensive to fix. If you want 37s go ahead with the D30 but expect that it will probably break, eventually. Just plan ahead on replacing it some point in the future and if by some miracle you don't have to then count yourself lucky. "

but most idiots on here have no idea or have even begun to think about what porters said since they "JUST WANT THE LOOK". Then when shit breaks they want to bitch and moan about their Jeep being a piece of crap because their 37's broke a
D30. Then cry about the dealer not fixing stuff.

I just get sick of Morons on here. I've wheeled the shit out of my JK and haven't had one single freaking problem. YOu know why? Because I take care of my shit and know its limitations. I also have had enough Jeeps and 4x4's to know that you don't need 37" tires for little to no wheeling and street beating and doing it for looks is plain ignorant. Not only are you going to have to change a ton of parts you are totally unaware of at this point, but your gas mileage is going to drop at least 6 or 7 miles per gallon maybe more running 3.73 with 37" tires. In turn you'll be crying about that too.
Point is do the shit right instead of half assing everything then you won't have problems. If you dont' have the money to do it right then don't! It's simple.

Its your jeep, do all the dumb stuff you want to but please don't come on here bitching about after you tear it up.

Last edited by BLACKSTONE; 08-26-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

The reason you can't understand it is that you have ZERO experience and don't know what the hell you are talking about like most newbs on here. Like Omaha said 37's on a D30 are crazy!

Porters nailed it with this statement "The problem with a D30 and 37s, particularly if you regear to 5.13 or greater is that the ring and pinion are small to begin with and the higher gearing means thinner teeth. Thinner teeth mean weaker teeth. Broken teeth means expensive to fix. If you want 37s go ahead with the D30 but expect that it will probably break, eventually. Just plan ahead on replacing it some point in the future and if by some miracle you don't have to then count yourself lucky. "

but most idiots on here have no idea or have even begun to think about what porters said since they "JUST WANT THE LOOK". Then when shit breaks they want to bitch and moan about their Jeep being a piece of crap because their 37's broke a
D30. Then cry about the dealer not fixing stuff.

I just get sick of Morons on here. I've wheeled the shit out of my JK and haven't had one single freaking problem. YOu know why? Because I take care of my shit and know its limitations. I also have had enough Jeeps and 4x4's to know that you don't need 37" tires for little to no wheeling and street beating and doing it for looks is plain ignorant. Not only are you going to have to change a ton of parts you are totally unaware of at this point, but your gas mileage is going to drop at least 6 or 7 miles per gallon maybe more running 3.73 with 37" tires. In turn you'll be crying about that too.
Point is do the shit right instead of half assing everything then you won't have problems. If you dont' have the money to do it right then don't! It's simple.

Its your jeep, do all the dumb stuff you want to but please don't come on here bitching about after you tear it up.

Damn !!! so much anger, talking about being humble. I posted the question because yes, I am a newbie and I want to learn but honestly I hope I never have to deal with somebody with your attitude on the trails. Thanks anyway.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do what you want man, it's your jk. Build it how you want and go from there. Look at WOL's rig and he still breaks shit, but he wheels ALOT and very difficult trails. I'm fixin to put 37's on my D-30, when I break it, I'll put a 60 in the front. And I'm gonna be the one paying the $$$ for it, no one else.

Quick Reply: Another...37's on a 08 Sahara questions