Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Another 35" wheel/tire thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 35" wheel/tire thread

OK... I have a 2dr 13' Rubi.
My goal is to get a 2.5" spring lift on it w/ shocks & 4 arms.
I'm also looking to run 35's. I really like my stock 13' Rubi wheels, but don't know that I can get decently priced tires for em'. (with spacers & pinch seam mods)

So... I guess I'm asking what the most cost effective way to go about it is. I'm in the mud a good bit, so I want to run a mud tire similar to the stock tread, but will also find myself in the sand & snow on occasion as well. But.. need something that will have decent tread life as well. -I know... opposing thoughts-

I'd rather invest in a decent wheel up front, and save on tire cost down the road. I honestly don't care whether they're 16" or 17", but don't really think I want 15" wheels, even though I understand that they're better for crawling. My Jeep is my daily driver and offroad pig, so... I need the ability to purchase decent tires without breaking the bank when the time comes each year (or however often they require changing)

I know I need 4.5" of backspacing, but I'm unsure about the "correct" width & dia I should go with to keep things cost effective yet functional and good looking. -Not wanting to run tractor tires... but not wanting to run flat-surface 15" wide sand tires either. I need a happy medium.

I like these, but don't know that they come with the right backspacing:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Outla...135773&sr=1-67

-Thanks guys.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at Discount Tires thread regarding MB72s in 15s, since you stated cost. Remember, all of us are going to go thru multiple sets of rubber over the years and it all adds up. 35s in 17 & 18 inch go for $300~$400 each. 35s in 15 are $250 each. Also consider if your out in nowhere, and you have to buy new rubber, odds are finding 15s are much better than 18s. But it's all personal preference.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by autenb
OK... I have a 2dr 13' Rubi.
My goal is to get a 2.5" spring lift on it w/ shocks & 4 arms.
I'm also looking to run 35's. I really like my stock 13' Rubi wheels, but don't know that I can get decently priced tires for em'. (with spacers & pinch seam mods)

So... I guess I'm asking what the most cost effective way to go about it is. I'm in the mud a good bit, so I want to run a mud tire similar to the stock tread, but will also find myself in the sand & snow on occasion as well. But.. need something that will have decent tread life as well. -I know... opposing thoughts-

I'd rather invest in a decent wheel up front, and save on tire cost down the road. I honestly don't care whether they're 16" or 17", but don't really think I want 15" wheels, even though I understand that they're better for crawling. My Jeep is my daily driver and offroad pig, so... I need the ability to purchase decent tires without breaking the bank when the time comes each year (or however often they require changing)

I know I need 4.5" of backspacing, but I'm unsure about the "correct" width & dia I should go with to keep things cost effective yet functional and good looking. -Not wanting to run tractor tires... but not wanting to run flat-surface 15" wide sand tires either. I need a happy medium.

I like these, but don't know that they come with the right backspacing:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Outla...135773&sr=1-67

-Thanks guys.
I went to 15 because of the better size and choices. Plus added sidewall gives more grip and protection of your wheels.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 AM
JK Newbie

You guys are both out west and appear to run a great deal of rock trails. We don't really have those out here on the east coast. But there is a lot of slick clayish mud, and if we had those wider tires like you guys, we'd be stuck like chuck.

But I do see what you're saying for sure. So the tire selection for the 15" wheel is greater & cheaper. Humm.... wonder what their m/t selection looks like...
Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

15's look like donuts too me. Too much rubber but that's my personal opinion, they are cheaper but.... 16's or 17's would be my choice and you shouldn't have to be buying new tires every year unless you do a hell of a lot of driving and/or abuse the crap out of them.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too went with 15s, it's easier to find load range C tires in 15s and that's more what we need on our jeeps.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by revvinkevin
I too went with 15s, it's easier to find load range C tires in 15s and that's more what we need on our jeeps.
C tires are too light duty IMO. They definitely won't hold up to rocks. More for DD or light trail use

Quick Reply: Another 35" wheel/tire thread