Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Andy's 2013 Jk 2 door Rock Lobster build

Old 01-18-2013, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Andy's 2013 Jk 2 door Rock Lobster build

I sold my 2001 TJ which I had for 6 years. It was an awesome trail rig, but a terrible road rig. I hated it for that. Ever since I test drove a friends 2010 JK, I figured that some day, one of these would be a good replacement. After scanning the Forums, I figured I could wait for a better motor than the 3.8, and the new interior was icing on the cake.

Everything came together the last 2 months when my BMW was written off in a crash, then selling the Jeep. And now it sounds like the 3.6 issues have been fixed too!

My TJ had Rubi axles, 33s and a RC 3.2 lift with Rancho RS9000s, SYE, driveshafts, winch, bumpers, tire carrier etc. etc,etc. Everything but the body and drivetrain had been upgraded or replaced. What good I've read and seen, a JK Sport is pretty capable, doesn't need as many mods as a TJ did, and is $10,000 less than a Rubi. That, and I'm not a trail Junky anymore. I like driving a Wrangler daily and want to be able to drive it to anywhere, Death Valley, ID, Moab, etc.

So, last Friday the search began. Unfortunately, Crush has been dropped, so that left Rock Lobster or White. I wanted a Sport S so I could get a LS in the rear, but a thorough search only found this base Sport with the options I wanted. It was in Idaho, so took a few days to arrive. I only wanted 4 options; AC, Hardtop, 3.73s, LS. I got 3 out of 4, no LS.

My budget for upgrades is $4,000. The 1st thing I did while waiting for the Jeep to arrive was order a RC 3.5 series II lift, JKS front adj trackbar, TF rear tb bracket, 4 Pro Comp 7005 17X8 wheels, and 4 GY Duratrac 315/70/17s, exhaust extensions, and a PROCAL. Yesterday and today, all of these, but the PROCAL have arrived, so tomorrow the install begins. $3,000 gone. I'll take my time spending the rest to keep this thread going. Winch, CB, 5th wheel/tire, rear bumper/tire carrier, ect, and alot of cheap mods.

While waiting for these to arrive, I have accumilated some other things to install. So yesterday was a new rearview mirror and a failed attemp at a leather steering wheel cover (today I ordered a better one). Today I installed a shift knob, rear hitch, headlight guards and a radiator screen.

1. Shift knob-I removed the two bottom cups and top piece of the stock grip, inserted 3 small screw drivers into the holes on the top, held the shaft and pulled the knob right off. Easy as pie compared to other's experiences. I put Gorilla tape around the shaft to give the new knob a tight fit. For some reason, I had an easier time shifting today. Thumbs up!

2. Hitch-Followed directions, 5 minute install

3. Guards-I had to file around the edge of one headlight to get the guard to fit, but just followed the instructions.

4. Screen-I secured it on the top using the grill pushpins, on the bottom using the grill clips, and on the sides by drilling
2 each holes and ziptying to the front radiator support.

I'll be posting pics of upgrades as I go.

Todays Pics below;

Last edited by BADDANDY; 01-24-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to the pictures of your rig after all the new items are on. Good luck with the installs!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

They quit making Dozer also.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

This morning I awoke to 27 degrees and fog, at least it wasn't the 17 we've had the past 7 days. I kick the truck out of the garage, pull and back in the Jeep. Close the door, turn on the heater and work lights, ger her on jacks. pull the wheels, then go back into the house for an hour to eat and let the garage warm up. I removed the entire front suspension in 2 hours, so nice and easy working on a brand new vehicle, then started on the exhaust extension. Needless to say, after over an hour, I can't get the pipe out of the joint. I'll reattack tomorrow.
So at the 4th hour, I need to eat, shower, then run to Discount tire to drop off the stockers so they can mount the new. Then head over the bridge to pick up a brand new softtop for cheap and head back to Discount. Yup, the MFs ordered 6 lug wheels! So now I have a few extra days to do the lift, great.
Pic of the start and when I quit for the day. Day 2 tomorrow.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

8.5 hours straight in the garage today.
Of course I attacked the exhaust 1st thing, it came right out! But, my exhaust only needs two 2 inch extensions, not one 2in and one 3 inch, so off to a muffler shop tomorrow.
Besides that, the front and rear is done! Awaiting for wheels so I can adjust front trackbar, and steering. It needs front discos due in soon, and ProCal to set tire size.
Pics below;
Exhaust spacers

Most of the tools I used, clean up tomorrow.

Completed front

Completed rear

TF trackbar bracket
Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice And congrats on the ride
Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Omani2010
Nice And congrats on the ride
Nice job this is exactly where I want to be in a couple weeks. Had my 2013 2 door Rubicon since Thanksgiving
Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Doing installs all yourself rocks...Kudos to you bud...Was not my thing...
Your build is looking good...
Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I probably did 4 or 5 lifts on my old TJ, this was the easiest by far, but at my age I'm so sore. As soon as this mornins Codine wears off, I'm off to a muffler shop.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Easy day today as the wheels are still on reorder. So I ran down to Midas to have the too long passenger side exhaust spacer shortened and to ACE to get 2 shorter bolts. So much better! I had to use a small ratchet strap to pull the pax side into alignment, but just a bit.
I've included pics of the spacers. The black one is the pax side. I also flipped the joint's clamp to aim the nut down, as stock it faces up and is a pain to get to.
The PROCAL came in, so now it's wait for wheels/tires to wrap it up.

Quick Reply: Andy's 2013 Jk 2 door Rock Lobster build