Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Am I the only one

Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one

Hey guys,

I know I've posted about this a few times before, but I think it's time I see what all of you have to say about my situation...and if anyone else is in the same boat.

I have a 2012 JKU Sahara automatic with 3.73s and 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Being that I live in NJ and commute to work on the Parkway, I am always driving around 70-80 MPH. Yes, I get pretty bad gas milage (14-15), but that I don't care about. My problem is gear hunting. For example, while on flat ground or on a downgrade, the Jeep will have no problem doing 75-80 MPH in O/D (5th gear). However, as soon as I hit even the slightest upgrade while in 5th gear, it feels as if i have no power and the Jeep eventually downshifts to 4th. Others of the forum have told me that it does not matter how many times the jeep shifts back and forth, but I just don't like to accept that answer. Also, it seems as if the Jeep never wants to go into 5th by itself, I always end up letting up on the gas a bit and manually shifting to 5th.

Just a few days ago I installed a Banks Ram Air intake (awesome) and I felt as if the Jeep had more power and wasn't gear hunting as much... but maybe that's just my mind playing tricks on me.

Anyway, I just want to know if any of you out there have the same problem and if so what have you done to correct it. I have used the Procal to adjust automatic shift points and the tire size...

I'm sure many of you will say I need to re-gear and I agree, however I do not know and reputable shops in my area (Jersey Shore)...and really trying to save that $$$$ for other mods.

I would appreciate any input guys thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 04:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, if you've already used a programmer I'm stumped. I would think that a 2012 with 3.73s would be OK on 35s at those speeds.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

Manual transmission
Old 03-29-2012, 04:59 AM
JK Junkie

From one fellow Jersian to another, I would have to say its your gear ratio. You've used the ProCal to recalibrate which is a start, but with those gears and that heavy tire, you are just not gonna be where you want to be with shifting and whatnot. You can do all the "perfomance" mods youd like.....CAI, exhaust, throttle body spacer, etc. but in the long wrong, you'll most likely still be disappointed.

Now, don't get me wrong - if you were to regear, you aren't gonna be driving a hotrod. Some people tend to think once they regear, all their worries will vanish. You will still drag ass, but not as much. Remember, we do drive a box on wheels. The thing gears will do is put less strain on your tranny which is what we are all aiming for, ya know? I'm not going to get too much into detail as im sure you know, gears (along with pretty much ANYTHING on here is a sore subject as everyone is a genious and knows all).

That being said, there is a great place in Toms Rivers that people have gotten their rigs worked on, from gears to lifts, that have been mentioned many times on here. Globex Performance - believe the guys name to talk to is Mike.

Do you have any other questions?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

If your at the Jersey shore and you want a good shop and decent price to re gear take the hour drive to Mt.Holly and go to Camper Bobs.

I've had gears put in there, sleeves, gussets. They have been doing work for me since I had my 93 YJ. Never a problem.

Buy your gears from Northridge and have Camper Bob install and be done with it.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

I understand your problem what I dont understand is how many people want there jeeps to be sports cars ? its a jeep its ment for offroad not doing 100 + dont get me wrong id love it if my jeep would climb a hill without bogging down but its a jeep thats how they have always been in stock form specialy with an auto the 6 speed is alot better im quite happy with the power I get out of my 3.8 with a 6 speed dont get me wrong it doesnt have any passing power which is kinda lame but hey show me one stock vehicle that can keep up offroad not many if any. My point is its a jeep they have always been jeeps and ive never seen so many people that complain that there jeep isnt fast enough I thought that when you made the decision to buy the jeep you made the decision to live life on the right lane of the highway
Old 03-29-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
From one fellow Jersian to another, I would have to say its your gear ratio. You've used the ProCal to recalibrate which is a start, but with those gears and that heavy tire, you are just not gonna be where you want to be with shifting and whatnot. You can do all the "perfomance" mods youd like.....CAI, exhaust, throttle body spacer, etc. but in the long wrong, you'll most likely still be disappointed.

Now, don't get me wrong - if you were to regear, you aren't gonna be driving a hotrod. Some people tend to think once they regear, all their worries will vanish. You will still drag ass, but not as much. Remember, we do drive a box on wheels. The thing gears will do is put less strain on your tranny which is what we are all aiming for, ya know? I'm not going to get too much into detail as im sure you know, gears (along with pretty much ANYTHING on here is a sore subject as everyone is a genious and knows all).

That being said, there is a great place in Toms Rivers that people have gotten their rigs worked on, from gears to lifts, that have been mentioned many times on here. Globex Performance - believe the guys name to talk to is Mike.

Do you have any other questions?
Yeah I'm aware that I am not driving a hot rod...and I was aware of that when I purchased the Jeep. It's not speed I am looking for; just to get rid of the constant gear hunting when going up slight inclines... Thanks for the advice and I will definetly be contacting Globex to get a quote and get things rolling. I really appreciate your help...any idea of an estimated cost? Or what gear ratio would be best?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CruSHeDJkUR
If your at the Jersey shore and you want a good shop and decent price to re gear take the hour drive to Mt.Holly and go to Camper Bobs.

I've had gears put in there, sleeves, gussets. They have been doing work for me since I had my 93 YJ. Never a problem.

Buy your gears from Northridge and have Camper Bob install and be done with it.
Great I'll look into that shop too. Any advice on what gear ratio would be best?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2012_UR
I understand your problem what I dont understand is how many people want there jeeps to be sports cars ? its a jeep its ment for offroad not doing 100 + dont get me wrong id love it if my jeep would climb a hill without bogging down but its a jeep thats how they have always been in stock form specialy with an auto the 6 speed is alot better im quite happy with the power I get out of my 3.8 with a 6 speed dont get me wrong it doesnt have any passing power which is kinda lame but hey show me one stock vehicle that can keep up offroad not many if any. My point is its a jeep they have always been jeeps and ive never seen so many people that complain that there jeep isnt fast enough I thought that when you made the decision to buy the jeep you made the decision to live life on the right lane of the highway
Hey man I never said I wanted it to be a sports car...I realize that a Jeep is a Jeep and it's meant to perform off road. However, I am just looking to get rid of that constant gear hunting.. and I live in Jersey there is no such thing as life in the right lane of a highway ha
Old 03-29-2012, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks to you guys and you're advice, I'll be dumping even more $$$$ into my baby even sooner...guess I was told this is the beginning...JEEP Just Empty Every Pocket...Hell I don't mind not eating for a few days...or weeks.

I'll be making some calls today to get some quotes..let you all know what I find. And once I get it done I'd like to do some wheelin with my jerzy boys

Quick Reply: Am I the only one