Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Am I the only one?

Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crasher
In the process of modifying my JK, each step has lowered the mpg like I thought it would. The 34" tires droped it from 19+ to a little less than 18. I corrected the speedo with the Flashpaq and set it to 87 performance. Another slight drop in economy. Last week it was regeared to 513s and on the way home after resetting the gauge was trying to settle in at 16.8. Last night I reflashed it to the economy mode and on the way into the office (20 miles of highway @60 mph) it kept dropping to about 15.5. Now, I know that isn't 100% accurate, but it indicates a general trend. Many on this forum say their mpg went up when the regeared. Mine definitely went down. Overall, I've dropped 4 mpg by lifting it 3", adding 34" tires and regearing to 513s. The bumpers will arrive today and add another 275#s of weight. Am I the only one to get these kind of results? It's pretty much what I would have expected, but was encouraged by others saying their economy improved. I don't expect a built Jeep to be an economy ride, but with gearing it up into a better torque range, it should improve. Again, am I the only one??

Jeeps are weird sometimes. The ECU takes a while to understand its new surroundings...IE bigger tires and possibly it will recognize different gears. I would give it a few weeks. Also I'm kinda assuming you might be experimenting with flooring it because of the bigger tires haha but I could be wrong. Just give it a little while and drive like all of us JK owners do...about 2 miles under the speed limit haha $$
Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Used to drive a leased 2008 sahara and now just got my new 2010 rubicon unlimited and went from the dealership to the local mechanic to install a 3.5" lift kit and 35" nittos.

Compared to the sahara, my new rubi is a pig on gas but I love her anyway!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, to the surprize of some, I'm that guy that drives 60 on the interstate and is always trying to get the best mileage. I started that about 15 years ago and it has become habit now. No need or desire to see how fast it will go. I got that out of my system many years ago. I'll get 26+ in our Sienna while my wife gets 24+ . With the Jeep, it's more of a challenge to do better, but with the mods, I think it's a losing battle.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one?