Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Am I gonna be ok doing this?

Old 07-23-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I gonna be ok doing this?

So, just bought new wheels, tires, and a lift! Got a problem, though. I'm picking up my wheels and tires here locally and getting my lift installed at my dad's, two hours away. Pretty sure I can't fit all my tires in the cab of the Jeep.

I'm getting 35" MTR's and a Teraflex 2.5" lift. The lift instructions mention not running stock wheels without spacers. I don't have spacers on my current wheels. I am not sure if I can fit the new wheels/tires under there without any more lift. (I only have a 1" body lift right now). I removed my front plastic air dam long ago.

While going between my home and dad's, I'll only be on the highway, no big flexing will be going on. Will I be ok riding the teraflex lift, factory wheels, no spacers, back to my house? If not that, will I be able to stuff the new tires under there, with only 1" body lift, to my dad's?

After spending all this money, I don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks!
Clayton
Old 07-23-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to your dad's, install the lift, and run back to your house with your current rims and tires. You'll be fine. Just keep in mind your center of gravity will be higher, so no funny business
Old 07-23-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Alec
Go to your dad's, install the lift, and run back to your house with your current rims and tires. You'll be fine. Just keep in mind your center of gravity will be higher, so no funny business
Your JK will do fine with the lift with stock wheels and tires coming back from your dad's if you decide to go this route.

You will also be fine putting your 35's with new wheels on your JK with the body lift, and running to your dad's if you decide to go that route (unless your dad lives on the other side of a mountain that you can only off-road to over the top)...just no sharp turns...

Why don't you put the new wheels and tires on when you get them home and try them out...?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

leave it to an aggie...
Old 07-23-2010, 05:03 PM
JK Junkie

Did you lift include a rear track bar relocation bracket? If not, then the warning from TeraFlex is correct, you will NOT be able to run even your stock rims & tires with that lift unless you have wheel spacers.

This very same thing happened to me. My father helped me install my 2.5" TF lift and we got done, and started putting the tires back on and noticed that the rear driver's side tire was too close to the rear swaybar and was un-drivable until either a relocation bracket (to re-center the rear) or wheel spacers were installed.

The easy, and probably wisest solution, is to invest in either an adjustable rear track bar or a track bar relocation bracket. In either case this should offset the axle shift and allow you to run your factory rims & tires until your upgrade.

Last edited by u-joint; 07-23-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-24-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

If you have rear extended bumpstops with your kit I would put those on and roll with your new tires.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Alec
X2 on this just to be safe so u don't rub
Old 07-24-2010, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by arasco85
leave it to an aggie...
No Kidding! LOL
Old 07-24-2010, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

If you were to install the lift and run your stock tires on your way home you will not be able to run your rear swaybar links. They will rub on your rims.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
Did you lift include a rear track bar relocation bracket? If not, then the warning from TeraFlex is correct, you will NOT be able to run even your stock rims & tires with that lift unless you have wheel spacers.

This very same thing happened to me. My father helped me install my 2.5" TF lift and we got done, and started putting the tires back on and noticed that the rear driver's side tire was too close to the rear swaybar and was un-drivable until either a relocation bracket (to re-center the rear) or wheel spacers were installed.

The easy, and probably wisest solution, is to invest in either an adjustable rear track bar or a track bar relocation bracket. In either case this should offset the axle shift and allow you to run your factory rims & tires until your upgrade.
Originally Posted by mikesjk
If you were to install the lift and run your stock tires on your way home you will not be able to run your rear swaybar links. They will rub on your rims.

So, I actually do have the relocation bracket, I ordered the full kit with shocks, springs, and all. If I put the new bracket on the track bar, and get the axle where it should be, will I still be rubbing rear swaybar links on the stock tires?

Quick Reply: Am I gonna be ok doing this?