Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Am i being short sighted

Old 10-12-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i being short sighted

i know this has been discussed to death but i was not able to find a thread that answered my specific question. i am about to add gussets. i have decided on the teraflex ones and am considering only doing the uppers. in my mind how likely are the c to bend downward anyway? i mean teraflex only sold uppers for a good wile. for it to bent down it would have to bend the upper gusseted c as well.

Now im sure u guys are asking why would i consider not doing lowers, most kits come with them anyway. im a collage student which means im pretty broke. so i need to save were i can. i dont have the skills to weld them in myself, so the less welding there is the cheaper the install is gonna be for me.

so what do u guys think, is my reasoning sound?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't actually done the gussets yet but in my opinion.... I would think that its not really just a matter of it bending downwards, but if that support is there it also requires more force to bend upwards since there is more material and more resistance. Hard to explain in words when I don't exactly know what I'm talking about I can draw it out in a picture....

Basically by having the lower gusseted, it makes an upside down L into a triangle which helps resist bending in any direction, including upwards.

Does that make any sense? I am going to sleep, I am sure someone with more experience and better wording will step in!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installing only one gusset would provide about 1/2 of the strength of installing both. The gussets act together in a push me/pull you to provide greater strength than the factory setup. So the question is, is 1/2 the strength strong enough.

Quick Reply: Am i being short sighted