Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aluminum VS Steel.....

Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really liking the RK 3.5 X-Factor Pro kit. It is a LOT of money, but with their "Abuse Proof Lifetime Warranty". Why not splurge and go with aluminum, that is if you never plan on doing a long arm of course.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubi Russ
I am a quality manager for a aluminum extrusion company, so I know enough to stick with the steel for all my hardcore parts. Steel has twice the tensile and yield of aluminum 6000 series alloy... If they are selling 2000 or 7000 series alloy then maybe... if it is 6000 series it is 97% percent pure aluminum which is derived from bauxite rock.... Doesn't deal good with vibrational stresses for long duration unless engineered properly... does have 8-10% elongation properties though... So it depends on the engineering... and where your sticking it..
All our suspension components that are made of Aluminum are out of the 7075 series. You are right, 6 series would be scary! If you guys remember Toys by Troy in Arizona, he used to make all his stuff out of 6061. That just seems crazy.

There are trade offs no matter which one you go with. Weight versus cost, maintenence, etc. If anyone wants to discuss them in depth, feel free to give us a shout!

RK

Quick Reply: Aluminum VS Steel.....