Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aluminum VS Steel.....

Old 01-07-2012, 06:18 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm no expert but I don't think a 1.5" solid aluminum control arm should be a large concern. I'd put money that the brackets would go before that does.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EzK
I'm no expert but I don't think a 1.5" solid aluminum control arm should be a large concern. I'd put money that the brackets would go before that does.
I'm with you. And they're actually 1.625", but who's counting!?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like steel is the way to go. Does anyone have any specific experience with RK's aluminum lift or River Raider's armor? Is it the weaker or stronger of the two?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:38 AM
JK Junkie

I have one of RK's aluminum lifts, but it's only been on a few weeks.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Cool Just Sayin' :)

Aluminum works great when properly designed.

In fact our products work so well, that a few of our competitors have tried to copy our designs...

We designed our armor to be made from aluminum...which means it has to be a different thickness than a steel version, with different structural gusseting, and different mounting provisions. Our Billy Rockers for example are comprised of three layers that work together as a system to protect your rig. And have been proven on the most difficult trails in this great country.

We'll continue to prove our solutions and the value of designing for aluminum but for now here are two videos of us beating the life out of them. (Re-posted from the above linked thread)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AScCg_Kl9wQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1N0bPddYws
Please note: If you goal is to protect your thirty thousand dollar rig from rocks than please choose a modern solution that has been designed from the ground up to do exactly that.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

So.....since know one has asked the question. What are the real weight savings of these parts in Aluminum?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jeepersteve
So.....since know one has asked the question. What are the real weight savings of these parts in Aluminum?
If you're referring to our Billy Rockers, they're only 90lbs for the entire set, including hardware.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks....that's a start. What would or do they weigh in steel? What about the lift, fenders, wheels, bumpers, that the original OP was enquiring about? What are the numbers that other members have come in with?

Thanks,
Old 01-10-2012, 12:41 PM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKlad
The experience I've had with aluminum boats and bull bars in the past is that when they are scraped they tend to get a jagged edge to them that is razor sharp and dangerous unless ground down. It's the reason aluminum has fallen out of favour in the brewing industry for use in beer kegs, as stainless steel kegs will dent and get smooth shallow scratches wheras aluminum ones get razor sharp gouges in them (I run a bar & while I usually don't use gloves when dealing with stainless steel kegs I will never go near an aluminum one without a pair of heavy duty work gloves on; I have too many nasty scars on my hands & fingers to make that mistake again).

One main reason the brewing industry has switched because the aluminium kegs are light & easy to steal and fetch a good price for scrap, where stainless steel is not so.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:47 PM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemesis Industries
If you're referring to our Billy Rockers, they're only 90lbs for the entire set, including hardware.
Are Nemesis bringing out a full width aluminium front bumper ?
With the price of fuel over here any weight saved on my DD JK is worth concidering.

Quick Reply: Aluminum VS Steel.....