Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aluminum VS Steel.....

Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as using it for armor, try to grind a piece of Alu across a rock then do the same with steel. The Alu wants to stick while the steel wants to slide.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

In LOST there is a guy who makes aluminum skids and they have done really well. Also...I think it is Asfur that does aluminum but I could be wrong. I think it just depends on how much an the type of wheeling you do.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

How is the strength of RK's 7075 vs steel?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Whiskeypete
wow. now i have a better idea why i can crush cans so easy. nice response Russ

i've been kicking around this idea also. mine is a DD, but it will see offroad use. i've been thinking of steel F/R bumpers, but going with Al body armor. since the bumpers will see rocks, trees, cars (courtesy of shitty drivers that can't park), i think steel is the way to go on the ends for protection. steel rock rails, but then go with Al armor above the rails to cut down on weight while still getting protection.
Shouldn't your avatar be an Indian Head?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check out TnT Customs AL skids.......pretty nice coverage and they wheel their stuff hard. They have some pics of some very well used AL skids that seem to be holding up just fine. There is also a good you tube video of Nemesis pounding on their combination AL and steel sliders.

http://youtu.be/AScCg_Kl9wQ
Old 01-06-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Another thing to think about is that steel is harder than rock and aluminum is softer. Where steel will scratch and glide over rocks, aluminum will gall and grab onto jagged rocks.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

What Rubi Russ said.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

I am a structual design engineer and have to deal a lot with these metals. Some things you need to consider is the temper of the metal, makes a big difference in strength and ductility you said 7075 but is it 7075 t6 or 7075 t651 and etc. Also I would be carefull if using al for these parts if they are not to a spec since the properties can vary sometimes in one part. Plus the al would be softer so of you hit it on a rock its doing to gouge. I wouldn't use it on my jeep I would stuck to the steel for the structural componets like the lift but that's just my 2 cents.

Last edited by bigworm36; 01-07-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

Those fat 7075 arms are good for me. If I'm wrong, RK's warranty will help me out when I get hauled back home.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The experience I've had with aluminum boats and bull bars in the past is that when they are scraped they tend to get a jagged edge to them that is razor sharp and dangerous unless ground down. It's the reason aluminum has fallen out of favour in the brewing industry for use in beer kegs, as stainless steel kegs will dent and get smooth shallow scratches wheras aluminum ones get razor sharp gouges in them (I run a bar & while I usually don't use gloves when dealing with stainless steel kegs I will never go near an aluminum one without a pair of heavy duty work gloves on; I have too many nasty scars on my hands & fingers to make that mistake again).

Quick Reply: Aluminum VS Steel.....