Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

is this the aluminum or steel rock krawler hd tierod

Old 06-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoldenRubi
If you have an aluminum tie rod, throw it away. Better yet, recycle it for a few bucks and buy a steel one. That's the last thing I would trust my loved ones lives to. Put a magnet up to it. If it sticks, it's steel.
I have had aluminum arms and tie rod for years no issue. This is solid 7075.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
I have had aluminum arms and tie rod for years no issue. This is solid 7075.
has it taken a hit?? parking blocks at the mall don't count LOL. Just kidding with you, I have no idea what you use your rig for. It's just hard to believe aluminum would be strong enough to wheel, I bent my stock one first month I had my jeep.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph-98
the weight alone should be able to tell you, and is their any rust on it? if so its steel.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

I figured it out.. its the steel one, ill prob run the metal cloak steel one so i dont have to reem out the mounts lol
Old 06-26-2015, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JE8154
What do the ends look like? Did they make the steel tie rod with the new ends?

Old 06-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mds22
has it taken a hit?? parking blocks at the mall don't count LOL. Just kidding with you, I have no idea what you use your rig for. It's just hard to believe aluminum would be strong enough to wheel, I bent my stock one first month I had my jeep.
What about speed bumps at the bank drive thru? But Yes it has taken a hit.

This isnt the same aluminum that is used to make cans. You do know that alot of suspension parts made today for factory cars are aluminum right? Look at control arms on any new German car for example - aluminum. Aluminum is also used in airplane construction almost exculsively so....

The RK aluminum tie rod is designed to bend and return to its original shape. I have pushed mine against rocks countless times. Check out this video for an illustration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4e9YPCUONA
Old 06-26-2015, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by joseph-98
That is aluminum
Old 06-26-2015, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Crippler
Yeah that 7075 aluminum is pretty much soda can.......
Wrong. It is solid 7075-T651 aluminum. Strong AND flexible. Best TR out there in my opinion.

Originally Posted by GoldenRubi
If you have an aluminum tie rod, throw it away. Better yet, recycle it for a few bucks and buy a steel one. That's the last thing I would trust my loved ones lives to. Put a magnet up to it. If it sticks, it's steel.
see above.

Originally Posted by mds22
you too, see above. You bent your stock one because it is weak and doesn't flex. The RK TR flexes if you hit it. Very strong yet flexible.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

I have run the aluminum tie rod since it came out. I rock crawl, love mud, tire stack, and daily drive 12000 miles a year. Mine has supported the weight of the jeep a few times, and is the only thing that held my front end together when I broke the factory 44 housing. Last summer I raced an obstacle course that had a rock garden, log crawl, mud pit, over a school bus, 8/10 mile road course, and a table top jump. No problems what so ever.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tcdawg
That is aluminum
How can u tell

Quick Reply: is this the aluminum or steel rock krawler hd tierod