Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ALUMINUM FENDERS: which ones to buy?!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
Those fenders are really nice.
Thanks man! Wish the marker lights were a little further forward, but i am really happy with them. Coincidentally, the rock slide engineering rock crawler style aluminum fenders have the marker lights further forward.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-10 at 10.33.29 AM.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	596234

This is a screenshot from their site. You can see the plugs/caps where the marker lights would go, if the state requires them. You can also see the plugs/caps where the wings bolt onto the bumper, so i can remove the bumper wings and that's what it'd look like.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RVA 4X4
The ends of the bumper are removable for sure, the fenders could be unbolted with 7 allen bolts in the rear and 10 in the fronts. It did look pretty bada$$ with the fenders totally removed. That naked bumper you have is brilliant!

Attachment 596233
JKFREAK and I were saying the same thing...JKs look awesome with no fenders! But I already spent the $ on the Nemesis! 😜
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	596235  
Old 02-10-2015, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NateSamJK13
JKFREAK and I were saying the same thing...JKs look awesome with no fenders! But I already spent the $ on the Nemesis! 😜
LOL! True!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any ideas on cost to have Poison Spyder fenders painted? I have to start getting estimates and have no clue what to expect
Old 02-10-2015, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OCOutdoors
Man!!! I am having a hard time deciding on whether to color match or powdercoat my Nemesis Fenders!! Color match looks good but I already have a lot of grey on my jeep. What did it run you to have them color matched? Any particular shop you had do it?

HeyOC, I was gonna leave mine just the raw aluminum but decided to go ahead and line them. I used Upol's Raptor liner and I think it turned out t great! Plus if I ever bang or scratch them up too bad, I can just spray them again. I did 3 coats of the Raptor on the fenders. 4 bottles come in a kit so you will have 1 bottle left over for touch ups. 1 kit costs about $116 if u already have the spray gun and $123 with a kit that has a gun. They also have a Tintable kit! All you do is get factory paint mixed up and add it to the bottle. But I have a black JKU so I just used the black kit. But I think the color match paint looks cool too if you don't have just plain black.

Autobodynow.com - U-Pol Raptor Black Urethane Spray-On Truck Bed Liner Kit w/spray gun * UP0820 spray bedliner kit

There's a $5 off $50 coupon too if interested
Old 02-10-2015, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by etl330
Anyone have any ideas on cost to have Poison Spyder fenders painted? I have to start getting estimates and have no clue what to expect
I paid $400 to have mine painted and cleared, they were two tone so that added some $$. Between $3-400 should be expected. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-123906137.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	596245 sent from my work leash

Last edited by mattgt5; 02-10-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:46 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RVA 4X4
The ends of the bumper are removable for sure, the fenders could be unbolted with 7 allen bolts in the rear and 10 in the fronts. It did look pretty bada$$ with the fenders totally removed. That naked bumper you have is brilliant!

Attachment 596233
Nice man.

Ok, I see what you're saying. Yeah, since the majority of the aftermarket fenders bolt up, I guess theoretically they all can be unbolted and made "removable". By "removable" I thought they were more like MetalCloaks where you can just unbolt 2 allens to give you a more narrow fender for off-road like on their Overline Fenders.

Jeep Wrangler JK 8" Overline Front Tube Fender Flare

I'm definitely going aluminum either way. Still researching / planning.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Help! I am being indecisive!

Sorry in advance for the long post.
Hopefully quick thread takeover and then back to the fun....

After seeing all of these I am back to being torn on what to do my indecisiveness.
I am now stuck between the Nemesis Odysssey (more expensive, require paint, but has reinforcement option) and the RS-E full flares (comes painted, cheaper, no reinforcement option), and now also on what to paint them.
I am going to have to pull the trigger soon here, so I'll just ask the thread.

I am going to replace my plastic sport fender flares and my warrior crawler full bumper (or cut it down).

Fender lining:
Anyone done MetalCloak or CrawlerConcepts front fender liner (thoughts here?). I assume most are cutting their existing liner area, or leaving it off and possibly painting the back fender area.

Part 1: fender
1) Nemesis Odyssey (and a midwidth or stubby bumper.)
2) RS-E Full (with a midwidth or a high level full bumper that meets the fender like a JCR Vanguard)

Part 2: bumper
Trying to keep it light weight, a full front bumper limits things. Don't want something that looks good but folds like paper either. has to have way to mount a winch since I already have a SB 9500 synth. Prefer American or small business or both, and would like aluminum.
If RS_E flare and full bumper: Don't want RS_E full bumper too, so looking at other options. Looking for recommendations, must meet close to fender and somewhat light weight. Besides RS-E I looked at: Metalcloak, Garvin G2 full, AEV/ Mopar, Nemesis Outback, MBRP/OCF, JCR, ExpeditionOne full AL, RockHard4x4 full AL
Whole list (including ones I don't particularly want, or aren't American/small business, or aren't available), for completeness, adds: Smittybilt MOD, Smittybilt Atlas, Smittybilt/NFab/eautogrilles tube bumper, Rampage Recovery, Bestop Highrock,Rock hard 4x4 tube bumper, ORfab full HD , VPR 4x4, Iron Bull, Olympic Phoenix, MORE, CBI, ARB, FabFour, FabFour FMJ, JCR's old full bumper, LOD, Hanson, Aries/Wildboar/eautogrille, GenRight full, WARN full, Warrior full ,RanchHand, RoadArmor, who else am I missing? I found a CRC bumper but lists 10gauge construction.
Out of these fulls, JCR and ExpOne are at the top for me right now but I could be persuaded otherwise easily.

Midwidths and stubby bumpers there are quite a few options... leaning to cutting my Warrior bumper (free!), a Warrior midwidth, Nemesis Voyager AL, JCR Crusader, Hyline midwidth, the RS-E crawler stubby/mid AL, Expedition One DX or Core, or Shrockworks mid. Preferences and other options?

Part 3: paint
My JKU is true blue (the same color as MattGT5 posted upthread) with semigloss black, textured black, silverish, and gunmetal (Fuel Trophy wheels) colors on the jeep and the nonpremium vinyl softtop.

I have doubts on my personal paint capability (no skills, no tools) and I know some paint places (my bumpers were powdercoated textured black, my diff covers a silver, and my hood is color matched at a different place) but wouldn't mind doing it myself if it would come out acceptable ( options to spray can/roller - I can think of liner and possibly auto store wheel paints or clears but doubt results as I have never used spray on something I cared about the visible results )

What are people doing for the fender-attaching edge of the flare (is it raw, painted or clear/sealed)?

Paint options:
  • raw aluminum sealed
  • textured black
  • semigloss black
  • all gunmetal
  • all true blue
edge: (possibly with pinstripe between the top and edge)
  • match top choice above
  • aluminum sealed.
  • gunmetal
  • textured black
  • semigloss black
  • true blue

So far I have only seen the RS-E in the shipped black textured.
I have seen the Nemesis in all gunmetal on a JK with my same wheels, semigloss black, textured black, with the edge painted one of the blacks and a silver, and color matched (but not true blue).

I am taking suggestions. I hope to order this week, as soon as i can make a choice.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go with whatever you like like others told me. I really liked the Nemesis, no one around me has them so I have unique factor, they are strong n inner braced for wheeling. The RSE are ok but if you wheel and hit them are they going to crumble? If u don't wheel, go for them. Ultimately up to u.

As far as paint, either paint them all body color or paint them body color with the edges trimmed in the dark gray like your wheels. Just my personal op
Old 02-10-2015, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pbujku13
Help! I am being indecisive!

Sorry in advance for the long post.
Hopefully quick thread takeover and then back to the fun....

After seeing all of these I am back to being torn on what to do my indecisiveness.
I am now stuck between the Nemesis Odysssey (more expensive, require paint, but has reinforcement option) and the RS-E full flares (comes painted, cheaper, no reinforcement option), and now also on what to paint them.
I am going to have to pull the trigger soon here, so I'll just ask the thread.

I am going to replace my plastic sport fender flares and my warrior crawler full bumper (or cut it down).

Fender lining:
Anyone done MetalCloak or CrawlerConcepts front fender liner (thoughts here?). I assume most are cutting their existing liner area, or leaving it off and possibly painting the back fender area.

Part 1: fender
1) Nemesis Odyssey (and a midwidth or stubby bumper.)
2) RS-E Full (with a midwidth or a high level full bumper that meets the fender like a JCR Vanguard)

Part 2: bumper
Trying to keep it light weight, a full front bumper limits things. Don't want something that looks good but folds like paper either. has to have way to mount a winch since I already have a SB 9500 synth. Prefer American or small business or both, and would like aluminum.
If RS_E flare and full bumper: Don't want RS_E full bumper too, so looking at other options. Looking for recommendations, must meet close to fender and somewhat light weight. Besides RS-E I looked at: Metalcloak, Garvin G2 full, AEV/ Mopar, Nemesis Outback, MBRP/OCF, JCR, ExpeditionOne full AL, RockHard4x4 full AL
Whole list (including ones I don't particularly want, or aren't American/small business, or aren't available), for completeness, adds: Smittybilt MOD, Smittybilt Atlas, Smittybilt/NFab/eautogrilles tube bumper, Rampage Recovery, Bestop Highrock,Rock hard 4x4 tube bumper, ORfab full HD , VPR 4x4, Iron Bull, Olympic Phoenix, MORE, CBI, ARB, FabFour, FabFour FMJ, JCR's old full bumper, LOD, Hanson, Aries/Wildboar/eautogrille, GenRight full, WARN full, Warrior full ,RanchHand, RoadArmor, who else am I missing? I found a CRC bumper but lists 10gauge construction.
Out of these fulls, JCR and ExpOne are at the top for me right now but I could be persuaded otherwise easily.

Midwidths and stubby bumpers there are quite a few options... leaning to cutting my Warrior bumper (free!), a Warrior midwidth, Nemesis Voyager AL, JCR Crusader, Hyline midwidth, the RS-E crawler stubby/mid AL, Expedition One DX or Core, or Shrockworks mid. Preferences and other options?

Part 3: paint
My JKU is true blue (the same color as MattGT5 posted upthread) with semigloss black, textured black, silverish, and gunmetal (Fuel Trophy wheels) colors on the jeep and the nonpremium vinyl softtop.

I have doubts on my personal paint capability (no skills, no tools) and I know some paint places (my bumpers were powdercoated textured black, my diff covers a silver, and my hood is color matched at a different place) but wouldn't mind doing it myself if it would come out acceptable ( options to spray can/roller - I can think of liner and possibly auto store wheel paints or clears but doubt results as I have never used spray on something I cared about the visible results )

What are people doing for the fender-attaching edge of the flare (is it raw, painted or clear/sealed)?

Paint options:
  • raw aluminum sealed
  • textured black
  • semigloss black
  • all gunmetal
  • all true blue
edge: (possibly with pinstripe between the top and edge)
  • match top choice above
  • aluminum sealed.
  • gunmetal
  • textured black
  • semigloss black
  • true blue

So far I have only seen the RS-E in the shipped black textured.
I have seen the Nemesis in all gunmetal on a JK with my same wheels, semigloss black, textured black, with the edge painted one of the blacks and a silver, and color matched (but not true blue).

I am taking suggestions. I hope to order this week, as soon as i can make a choice.
Hey man. The RSE fender flares come with reinforcement. They claim that you can stand on the fenders. I'm reluctant to do so since i weigh a buck 90 :-). RSE charges an extra $200 to powdercoat with custom colors. I was torn between getting them the textured black powdercoat standard or getting them in gloss black powdercoat. Ended up going matte/textured black... RSE said they have a couple custom colors available, ya might want to give them a call and see if they have true blue or gunmetal. Hope that helps...

Quick Reply: ALUMINUM FENDERS: which ones to buy?!