Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ALUMINUM FENDERS: which ones to buy?!

Old 03-23-2015, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know how they fit
Old 03-23-2015, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested in what you get charged to have them painted
Old 03-27-2015, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by etl330
I'd be interested in what you get charged to have them painted
Gave up on a color-match shop that wasn't expensive nor with a huge backlog on insurance-paid work.
The cheapest quote I got over phone was a bit over $550 for color-match from a body shop that I would trust, but there was a long line of vehicles in front of me for work.

I ended up taking them today to get powdercoated the same black as my bumpers. It was under $200 for the black including some other pieces (non-Jeep things that needed work - don't have a separated price but I would guess $150-175) at a local shop and I'll get it back next week. I can save the money for more fun JK stuff ( I need under body armor before trail season hits) and parts needing replacement (balljoints, draglink, etc.)
Old 03-27-2015, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pbujku13
Gave up on a color-match shop that wasn't expensive nor with a huge backlog on insurance-paid work. The cheapest quote I got over phone was a bit over $550 for color-match from a body shop that I would trust, but there was a long line of vehicles in front of me for work. I ended up taking them today to get powdercoated the same black as my bumpers. It was under $200 for the black including some other pieces (non-Jeep things that needed work - don't have a separated price but I would guess $150-175) at a local shop and I'll get it back next week. I can save the money for more fun JK stuff ( I need under body armor before trail season hits) and parts needing replacement (balljoints, draglink, etc.)
Yikes what color is your jeep? I got a quote of $275 last week from a. Local jeep club member but it sounds way too good to be true
Old 03-28-2015, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

MY JKU is True Blue (KBU/PBU). I really don't think that had anything to do with it, most didn't even ask what the actual color was.

That estimate was probably over what it would actually cost, as I was getting quotes over the phone from collision/body shops (no time to drive around and actually talk to people) and for the most part not from the actual powdercoat personnel.
Usually actually talking and showing the actual people doing the work gets the estimate down, and people are willing to sometimes come down further on price, but I just don't have the time right now.
I got a few outright refusals for various reasons (aftermarket, non-repair, and not insurance work) but I think most of it was due to backlog: people here seem to end up in more fender-benders during January/February -last year "snowpocalypse" had places backlogged for 4 months.

For reference, my hood was done by a collision shop for under $400 when I paid but was estimated at $700, so yeah they were probably overestimating, especially since they aren't doing an install.

$275 seems like a decent price, and if they can do digital color match or have a car color system already most of that is just setup and paint.

The powdercoaters I am using have already done my bumpers and diff covers and keep those colors so it was easy to just show up and drop stuff off. Since I dropped off at end of day, I might call AM Monday to see if they can do dual tone for me and how much since I forgot to ask.

Last edited by pbujku13; 03-28-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default fenders back from paint

Came back from paint (textured black). $150. installing as possible this weekend (since I don't get to go to EJS)

Click image for larger version

Name:	fendersbackfrompaint.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	604433
Old 04-01-2015, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

I'm probably going with metalcloak in the next month.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I still think the Nemesis flares out rock the rest. Was at EJS last week and noted that Rock-Slide has some new flat flares in aluminum that look great. Similar look to plastic MCEs but much better finished off.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

I've had my Poison Spyder fenders sitting in my garage since Christmas time. Need to get these things on already lol
Old 04-10-2015, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by etl330
I've had my Poison Spyder fenders sitting in my garage since Christmas time. Need to get these things on already lol
why bother... Just sell them to me. LOL

Quick Reply: ALUMINUM FENDERS: which ones to buy?!