Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aluminum Bumper

Old 03-08-2015, 10:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The JK has crumple zones built into the frame and body. The bumper is not designed to absorb energy. You're fine with a steel bumper in that regard. Also, aluminum bumpers are usually a thicker gauge material, so not really relevant.

You should plan to paint or clear coat aluminum. It "resists" corrosion, but they will corrode and oxidize. Especially if you live near an ocean or a place that gets snow.

There are some pretty lightweight steel bumpers on the market now. Especially those made of high strength steel. You're paying a lot of money to save maybe 30 lbs. Use the savings to get a winch with synthetic line. That will get your 30 lbs back.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
There are some pretty lightweight steel bumpers on the market now. Especially those made of high strength steel. You're paying a lot of money to save maybe 30 lbs. Use the savings to get a winch with synthetic line. That will get your 30 lbs back.
I do live on Cape Cod Ma, so the salt water is near by and we got a bunk load of snow this year.

What light weight steel options are there of good quality, competitively priced? I'm a fan of the mid length bumper so that would save some weight. I'd like to find something that you don't have to cut or modify anything to install. LOD seems to have some nice options.

Thanks for all the responses
Old 03-14-2015, 12:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...9-95-a-192844/

Look through here it was about the lightest steel bumper. I have had mine for about 2 years now no issues. I prefer my winch recessed and at the time I wanted to keep the fogs although now I could care less but I am a weight Nazi so this fit the bill.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Appreciate the link, that bumper looks nice. However I have a real issues with the quality and fitting. To me it seems ludicrous to buy something that a manufacture sends out and it needs to be repainted, or modified. I'm definitely going to stay away from Rough Country, the seem to put out a lot of garbage.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed to this thread. Also looking for a aluminum bumper, preferably a stubby with factory fog lights and a winch guard, but it seems impossible.

Top of my list is the Genright, but no fog lights, I'm interested to see that you come up with with.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_p
Subscribed to this thread. Also looking for a aluminum bumper, preferably a stubby with factory fog lights and a winch guard, but it seems impossible. Top of my list is the Genright, but no fog lights, I'm interested to see that you come up with with.
Yeah i feel your frustration, why don't they just include everything that's on the steel counterpart, or just have a bolt on option? I really like what ACE has to offer, but again lack the desired options.

https://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/mobile/#home
Old 03-17-2015, 02:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Schwartzki
Yeah i feel your frustration, why don't they just include everything that's on the steel counterpart, or just have a bolt on option? I really like what ACE has to offer, but again lack the desired options. https://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/mobile/#home
Have you checked out LOD? It sounds like they might have what you're looking for

http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/prod...&cat=23&page=1

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 03-17-2015, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_p
Subscribed to this thread. Also looking for a aluminum bumper, preferably a stubby with factory fog lights and a winch guard, but it seems impossible.

Top of my list is the Genright, but no fog lights, I'm interested to see that you come up with with.
I think RockHard4x4 has that exactly, Rock Hard 4x4 Aluminum Patriot Series Grille Width "Stubby" Front Bumper for Jeep Wrangler JK 2/4DR 2007 - 2015 [RH-5041]
Old 03-17-2015, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Those are both great options, I really like how RockHard is a no modification direct bolt on replacement. It's priced really good too.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

nemisisindustries has aluminum bumpers.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Bumper