Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aluminum Air Tank

Old 06-02-2020, 09:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Air Tank

So I've had this 4"X6' piece of aluminum conduit hanging around for over 20 years and I've always thought it would look cool if it was all polished up and mounted on the side of the roof rack as an air tank. It's 1/4" thick. A couple of people have told me its a dumb idea, as they don't think it wouldn't be safe. I'm not a welder and it would need caps welded on the ends. I've scoured the internet and I can't find any screw on caps or any domed caps that could be welded on. I'm pretty sure the conduit could handle the air pressure, it's the welding that might not hold up. I'm told any reputable welding shop probably won't want to have their name attached to anything that is going to be used to hold air pressure. I'm thinking it would probably just be cheaper to buy an air tank and mount it where the muffler used to be, than to try and find a shop to weld on ends and brackets to mount it to the roof rack. So the questions are whether its worth pursing turning the conduit into an air tank or if there's something else clever I might use it for?
Old 06-03-2020, 03:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

No, not worth it. It's not even worth it to mount an actual manufactured air tank IMO. To go through so much trouble to make something into an air tank is going to be futile in both time and money. If you could fabricate and weld it yourself, maybe it would be fun to do just to have a project, but small air tanks like that just don't add enough capacity to be anything more than a fart in the wind.
The following users liked this post:
basbakhan@gmail.com (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I have a small air tank and yeah, the only benefit is giving the compressor a rest when I'm doing small air (non) intensive tasks. I'll fill the tank and then cut off the compressor so I can fill my ATV tires without the motor running but I can't say I'd pay extra for it. My brother bought an ARB twin and I'd say he can air up just as quickly as I can. The tanks just aren't big enough to make a difference in larger tires.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just the safety concerns alone would be enough to say "this is a bad idea"
I'll stick with my little air compressor...

Quick Reply: Aluminum Air Tank